My embarrassing reading comprehension fail

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My embarrassing reading comprehension fail

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:And yes, if you want a dependably straight answer, do cross off Urban Dictionary from your list.
Not my list, Google's list. My point remains that the word isn't in wide use here so your wit was lost on me.

(I am not sure whether, or not, it was lost on the other person who responded)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:Not my list, Google's list.
Your list, Google's list, my list, anyone's list. It's an idiom. Surely you've heard it before?
david_h wrote:My point remains that the word isn't in wide use here so your wit was lost on me.
Which word?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Which word?
Nanohedron wrote: They left an S off the author's last name.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

So the word "dumbass" has little currency in your vernacular, then? Is that it?

Why so cryptic?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:As you might accordingly surmise, "Crisco" would be almost de rigueur as a Yank's eggcorn for both "Kisco" and "Cristo".
The eggcorn doesn't fall very far from the tree, does it?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Ooh, and ... um ... "Vanish My ... " something or other ...
Aw, c'mon; you can say it. Around these parts some say "Varnish". I like your "Vanish" better, though; then you could call the tune "The Mohel" :twisted: . But I call it "The Spanish Misfortune"; got that from a kid who misheard me. I like it; it sounds like a venereal pox. Then there's "The Chinese Chickens", which was an actual mishearing on my own part :oops: .

At a session I once launched into what I announced as "Montezuma's Revenge". "Montezuma's Revenge?" they cried; "But that's The Stool of Repentance!" "Think about it," said I. :twisted:

I love mangled tune names; I've probably got a million of 'em. I will be eternally grateful to the green young fellow who pronounced "The Kesh" as "The Quiche".

"The Flying Toad"? I'm drawing a blank.
Quiche, lol. My church music director persisted in saying " Kish."

I love the Montezuma's Revenge, lol.

Nanohedron wrote: I honestly didn't think my point was all that subtle, but maybe I've outdone myself unawares.
FWIW, I read you loud and clear...

(Though it may be due to the fact that I sometimes pronounce that word that way for funsies.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:So the word "dumbass" has little currency in your vernacular, then? Is that it?

Why so cryptic?
I am not being cryptic. You gave focus to the word. You had to explain your initial cryptic reference to it because a Brit said he didn't get it. Maybe my reference to the 'common language' discussion was too cryptic a way of pointing out that it was not in wide usage in the UK. Does your pronunciation of 'Dumas' lead to homophony?

I checked it meant what I thought it meant, and was amused by the recursive definition that Google led me to. That left me not 100% sure that Ben's comment was not tongue in cheek.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I see. Sorry. I honestly, honestly never considered that "dumbass" might be a difficult thing for any English speaker.
david_h wrote:Does your pronunciation of 'Dumas' lead to homophony?
Not in the slightest: "dew-MA" is the standard pronunciation, and mine as well. Nevertheless, "Dumas" could of course be mispronounced in a number of ways, and my proposed additional S suggested what is certainly the most amusing - if, that is, "dumbass" were part of one's vocabulary.

Another epic fail by Nano.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:I love the Montezuma's Revenge, lol.
And here I had given up any hope of it being appreciated in my lifetime. :love:
Katharine wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: I honestly didn't think my point was all that subtle, but maybe I've outdone myself unawares.
FWIW, I read you loud and clear...

(Though it may be due to the fact that I sometimes pronounce that word that way for funsies.)
Apparently it's strictly an American thing.
kkrell wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:As you might accordingly surmise, "Crisco" would be almost de rigueur as a Yank's eggcorn for both "Kisco" and "Cristo".
The eggcorn doesn't fall very far from the tree, does it?
That, too.