American native flute in the UK?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

American native flute in the UK?

Post by AuLoS303 »

Anyone know of any uk makers/sellers, ones that aren't too high in the price range?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: American native flute in the UK?

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well I found a guy who makes them for a very low price. They're plain looking but the sound samples are good. There's one I like the look and sound of for £68.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ordered it and its on its way
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Post by michaelpthompson »

Looking forward to hearing of your experience with it.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

michaelpthompson wrote:Looking forward to hearing of your experience with it.
Got it today. Its very different to any woodwind instrument I've played. The sound is warm, mellow, subtle. And requires more air than recorder or whistle. There's a certain amount of back pressure and playing it seems very natural, if that makes sense.
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Photos? Or even a recording would be nice. I wonder how it differs from those sold in the US?
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

michaelpthompson wrote:Photos? Or even a recording would be nice. I wonder how it differs from those sold in the US?
I put a photo in the forum above. (Photos of your Collection in Chiff and Fipple Whistle Forum section)
But here is a short video.

https://youtu.be/XGgCM9yH63g
michaelpthompson

Nice. Looks like a fairly standard machine-made flute. Has good sound. Similar to many I've seen in the US.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

michaelpthompson wrote:Nice. Looks like a fairly standard machine-made flute. Has good sound. Similar to many I've seen in the US.
These are hand made by a guy called Phil Robinson.