What key, please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What key, please?

Post by DrPhill »

Hi all, can anyone tell me what key is this fine tune in, and what whistle should I be playing it on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GlweCUixao

Thanks in advance

Phill
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What key, please?

Post by benhall.1 »

It's in Bb, Phil. It fits absolutely perfectly on a Bb whistle. :)
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:It's in Bb, Phil. It fits absolutely perfectly on a Bb whistle. :)
Thanks Ben, does it require folding? My definition of 'fits perfectly' is slightly more restricted than yours due to my reluctance to fold. [I tried what you suggested for 'Diamonds and Rust' and could manage to fold an entire phrase but not an individual note.]

I have figured the melody for this tune (I think) starting (D notation) F# G A3 A e3 which requires no folding....

Is Bb a special key? I have whistles in Bb, C, D Eb, A which sounds like the key of Bb major to me.
Phill

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:It's in Bb, Phil. It fits absolutely perfectly on a Bb whistle. :)
Thanks Ben, does it require folding? My definition of 'fits perfectly' is slightly more restricted than yours due to my reluctance to fold. [I tried what you suggested for 'Diamonds and Rust' and could manage to fold an entire phrase but not an individual note.]

I have figured the melody for this tune (I think) starting (D notation) F# G A3 A e3 which requires no folding....

Is Bb a special key? I have whistles in Bb, C, D Eb, A which sounds like the key of Bb major to me.
No it doesn't require folding at all. Every note fits perfectly on a Bb whistle. :) The key for this tune is just plain, straightforward, B flat major. And, as I say, it fits, without folding, perfectly on a B flat whistle.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:No it doesn't require folding at all. Every note fits perfectly on a Bb whistle. :)
Thanks Ben. I value your help.
Phill

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

I have to ask, what do you guys mean by folding?

Also, did Mr Gumby retract his Eb suggestion?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

did Mr Gumby retract his Eb suggestion?
On second thought I decided the OP probably wasn't looking for an option involving half holing.
My brain hurts

DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Polara Pat wrote:I have to ask, what do you guys mean by folding?
When you want to play a note off the bottom of the whistle and have to use the note an octave higher.

So when, for example, playing 'Diamonds and Rust' on a Bb whistle, the lowest note of the tune falls below the bell note and has to be folded up an octave. It is a reasonably standard fix, apparently, but one that my mind sometimes refuses to adopt.
Phill

DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
On second thought I decided the OP probably wasn't looking for an option involving half holing.
You thought right.... I can half-hole. Sometimes. But If I can pick a whistle where I do not need to I am happier.
I did not get time to thank you for your suggestion though, so thanks.
Phill

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

DrPhill wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:I have to ask, what do you guys mean by folding?
When you want to play a note off the bottom of the whistle and have to use the note an octave higher.

So when, for example, playing 'Diamonds and Rust' on a Bb whistle, the lowest note of the tune falls below the bell note and has to be folded up an octave. It is a reasonably standard fix, apparently, but one that my mind sometimes refuses to adopt.
That seems a bit confusing but I'll have to try and figure it out now. Thanks
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
To be fair, it's clearly the key of the whistle actually being played on the track.
Celticexile

Post by Celticexile »

Probably was an Eb whistle on that track, but I've been blessed (cursed?) with a succession of singers requiring accompaniment in different keys. Great excuse for the occasional WHOAD attack, so I've just been playing along with that Luke Kelly/Dubliner track. As previous posts have informed, Bb a perfect match (albeit an octave lower, since I can't get it to behave in the third octave) and Eb with half-holing. That said it was easiest of all on my little F whistle (minor adjustment on that top note only). First time it had seen the light of day in over a year, and first time I've felt a whistle smile at the attention!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Though I usually prefer being in the mid-range of a whistle than down on the bottom end, for this tune I'd use the Bb, where it sits so well.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable screaming out those 3rd octave D's and all those high C's.

BTW the fiddle at the beginning sounds like it was recorded at a different base pitch than the guitar.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle