Sindt Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sindt Whistles

Post by kintailpipes »

I noticed someone has a Bb Sindt for sale on Ebay. Why are Jon Sindt whistles considered so rare and valuable? I understand the value since I owe a full range of these whistles. Is Jon no longer making Whistles?

Just asking.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Sindt Whistles

Post by PB+J »

He is making whistles. He's not cranking them out for mass sale, but you can email him and ask for a whistle to be made. He made me an "A" whistle last September. it took a few months. Great whistle
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It is a matter of perspective. I suppose the seller is thinking they don't come up in the used context very often. It is true that you can get one made. I don't know what the waiting list is now days. I have one and enjoy it. I also bought a set for my son with a Bb and an A body. Both were purchased used on C&F and purchased over a period of a 3 or 4 years. So "rare" to this seller may mean you can't pick it up off the shelf or find stacks of them on a website somewhere.

Folks in the high end flute and whistle may think of rare as something not seen for sale in several years, with a maker with a waiting list over a few years or possibly deceased. But we are rare birds ourselves.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I saw the post and thought it odd tbh...seller says that it is extremely rare in this key Bb....I don't think a Sindt Bb is rare at all...let alone extremely rare...was probably only played by a little old organ lady, once per year at Christmas eve Church service as well... :lol: Good selling feature I suppose.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

If a seller says something is 'rare', they are just trying to hike up the price. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Yeah, I'm also in the 'old computers' crowd, and ebay is full or 'RARE!', except for the cases where it's 'ULTRA RARE', never mind the actual rareness..
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

A facebook-friend of mine just bought a Sindt in Bb. He said, he didn't even have to wait as Mr Sindt had one in stock. So much for rarity. However, John Sindt is 87 now ... so who knows how long he will keep making whistles.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes the seller was gilding the lily a bit.

I bought a used Sindt A/Bb/B set (three tubes one head) here in the Used Instrument Exchange and no doubt it was excellent, the Bb being the best of the three, a quite exceptional whistle.

That seller's hyperbole doesn't compare to the nonsense people post on Ebay, especially about worthless tatty 1970s Pakistani bagpipes, which were invariably "recovered from a WWI battlefield" or "were played in the Boar War" (sic).

At the end of WWI there must have been hundreds of 1970s Pakistani bagpipes littered about the former battlefields. You couldn't walk about without stepping on the things.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

While we're at it -- Richard, how would you say a 2018 Killarney compares to a Sindt? Would it be worth trying to contact Mr Sindt and get on the waiting list? I'm seriously considering that.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Do Sindts in all keys have the difficult OXX OOO? Meaning, Sindt players must be good half-holers which I am not.
Off Topic:
Regarding bagpipes from Pakistan, I bought a new set in 1974 for $125 at a store in New York City. Within two weeks, there were huge cracks in two of the drones at the base. It never even made it out of the trenches. The store exchanged it for another set, which didn't crack so I sold it after a year at a $25 profit which went towards the purchase of a $325 set of Hardies.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Quality whistles always.
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Do Sindts in all keys have the difficult OXX OOO? Meaning, Sindt players must be good half-holers which I am not.
Off Topic:
Regarding bagpipes from Pakistan, I bought a new set in 1974 for $125 at a store in New York City. Within two weeks, there were huge cracks in two of the drones at the base. It never even made it out of the trenches. The store exchanged it for another set, which didn't crack so I sold it after a year at a $25 profit which went towards the purchase of a $325 set of Hardies.
Peccavi

Seán.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Peccatum maximum
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

'Peccavi'

The most brief and brilliant example of a favourite British form of humour, the pun. In 1843 Sir Charles Napier conquered the Indian province of Sind (now southeast Pakistan), and was criticized in parliament in 1844 for his ruthless campaign. A girl in her teens, Catherine Winkworth (1827–78), remarked to her teacher that Napier's despatch to the governor general of India, after capturing Sind, should have been Peccavi (Latin for 'I have sinned'). She sent her joke to the new humorous magazine Punch, which printed it as a factual report under Foreign Affairs. As a result the pun has usually been credited to Napier.

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BRITAIN
RaymondGrant
Tell us something.: I'm a self-learning Fluter for almost 2 years. I found the forum when searching for flute forum on Google search, so I want to join the discussion on the Flute Forum.

Post by RaymondGrant »

I absolutely love my Sindt whistles and I honor him as a master whistle maker.