Your experiences with Tony Dixon ABS whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Your experiences with Tony Dixon ABS whistles.

Post by fatmac »

Last week, I acquired a one piece Tony Dixon ABS low D whistle from Ebay, & I really enjoy its tone & ease of play.

I also have a Tony Dixon high D ABS whistle that I like the tone of too.

So I'm starting this thread to hear what others think of the ABS whistles they have, any & all comments appreciated.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Re: Your experiences with Tony Dixon ABS whistles.

Post by JackJ »

I'm a huge fan of the one piece high D polymer Dixon's--I own two and both are superb. Right behind is my two piece (tunable) high D polymer--it's tone is very slightly "breathier", which isn't a bad thing, but in this case it sounds just a bit plain. All three are on the quite side, and that's absolutely a plus for me. They're also all three not demanding when it comes to breath control, with a good bell note and no major push needed for the the upper notes in the second octave.

I also own a tunable Bb polymer that's no longer in the Dixon lineup. I haven't played it all that much, and would have to spend more time with it before sharing an opinion. But at this point I prefer my Freeman tweaked Generation Bb.

No low D's yet, but I'll get there eventually.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

That's interesting to note that the tunable high D seems breathier to play, than the one piece, thanks for that.
Keith.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

fatmac wrote:That's interesting to note that the tunable high D seems breathier to play, than the one piece, thanks for that.
I do want to emphasize that the tone difference is slight--my examples of both the tunable and one piece versions are both on the "clean/pure" side of the whistle tonal spectrum. In comparison, I'd put my brass Dixon Trad high d model on the "raspy/breathy" side. I like the Trad, too, but not as much as the polymers.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Understood - only very slightly more breathy - I like my Trad brass Dixons too. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I got the one piece low D ABS and the DX001, too. Both play very nicely. I also have the one piece ABS flute -- also not bad but for a flute the material could be a bit thicker -- but it is very cheap at around 40€ -- even cheaper than the low D whistle. The non-plastic models are also all rather good -- especially the high Ds. The only one that is not as good as the rest is the alloy alto A (maybe mine is a lemon, I don't know). The tuning between the octaces is very uneven. The G is fine though -- got the trad and alloy version. Oh, almost forgot -- I also have the insanely heavy brass trad low D. A bit finicky to play -- very different from the ABS even though the head looks exactly the same. BTW -- as mentioned elsewhere on the forum -- the head of trad and DX001 is slightly different. Therefore the sweeter tone.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I also had a bit of problem with my TD aluminium 'A', I had to twist the mouthpiece a little to get the second octave.
I have just bought a flute head for it, & that seems to work OK on it, so maybe the fipple needs some attention, but not sure what.

Also, I have their one piece ABS flute, took a while to be able to play it, but it has a lovely tone, equal of their low 'D' whistle.
(Just acquired a pre used 3 piece flute, its much heavier.)
Keith.