Mary Bergin show on TG4

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Mary Bergin show on TG4

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nice show on Mary Bergin here on TG4.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mary Bergin show on TG4

Post by ytliek »

That was excellent.
Skyclad01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Shame I missed it. What's TG4?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Skyclad01 wrote:What's TG4?
Irish language television channel.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That was delightful
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Skyclad01 wrote:Shame I missed it. What's TG4?
It will be there for a while.

Click on this https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid= ... ch&dlft=34

Best wishes.

Steve
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Thank you so much for that link. That was great. :D
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

It was interesting, in close ups, to see how much the whistle moves in her mouth when she plays it. She's hitting the whistle pretty hard and it's not tightly held
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What's TG4?
The Sé mo Laoch series is a long running series of profiles of important traditional musicians and singers. Initially made by Nuala O'Connor and Breanndán Ó Beaglaoich it has since gone through the hands of several other people. It's a great at celebrating the life and music of the musicians featured. Very much worth looking up the old series of it, as far as I remember there's a fair number of episodes (but not by far all) up on youtube (thereused to be anyway).

They get repeated fairly often, this particular one is two years old and on it's third outing at least. Sunday night was a night filled with repeats of music programmes: the Mary B one, the Green Linnet and Cheoil na mBan : pipes, which was last aired, twice, as part of a repeat of the whole series, about a month ago. That felt like overdoing it a bit.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:They get repeated fairly often, this particular one is two years old and on it's third outing at least. Sunday night was a night filled with repeats of music programmes: the Mary B one, the Green Linnet and Cheoil na mBan : pipes, which was last aired, twice, as part of a repeat of the whole series, about a month ago. That felt like overdoing it a bit.
Ah, easy for you to say. You walk out the door and there's a gaggle of trad musicians playing away. Here in the hinterlands of the US, Irish trad music almost never gets to the television (except for the annual fundraising performances of Celtic Women which passes for trad hereabouts). :poke:

Best wishes.

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Cheoil na mBan : pipes, which was last aired, twice, as part of a repeat of the whole series, about a month ago. That felt like overdoing it a bit.
I wasn't overstating it there was I? The piping episode was aired during the week of March 8, probably twice (because that's what they do, Sundaynight and Wednesdays), repeating it again this week felt a bit soon (and possibly a mistake too). But there's some overall frustration shining through there as well at RTE repeating certain material very very regularly, not just the music stuff.

Other than that I was just saying there's a lot of opportunity to watch this stuff, certainly with it lingering on the player for at least a month.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just for the record, the series continued last night with the episode dedicated to the man himself, Jackie Daly. It's another good one to watch, if you're into that sort of thing.

I was at the launch of the series where this particular episode was shown on a big screen and at the time I thought it was quite moving but I believe some of the more personal bits were edited out before broadcast. There's nice archive footage of Jackie during his days with De Dannan, with Seámus Creagh and others and music filmed for the program with Matt Cranitch, Conal O Grada, Paul deGrae and others.
My brain hurts