Tune help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tune help

Post by DrPhill »

Hi all, I am trying to pick out the melody to 'Diamonds and rust' on a D whistle. I am not trying to match the pitch of the original (I probably do not have the right whistle)
I seem to have most luck starting on b.
Heres what I do roughly (and I may be well off.....) I cannot make the last line fit. What am I doing wrong?

Code: Select all

b     E    E   E
Well I'll be damned

E      F    G    A     E  E
Here comes your ghost again

E    E      D  E D b b 
But that's not unusual

b    b    C    D   b    a  a
It's just that the moon is full

And you happened to call

A A A A F# G  ????  does not sound quite right to me
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Tune help

Post by Byll »

DrPhill wrote:Hi all, I am trying to pick out the melody to 'Diamonds and rust' on a D whistle. I am not trying to match the pitch of the original (I probably do not have the right whistle)
I seem to have most luck starting on b.
Heres what I do roughly (and I may be well off.....) I cannot make the last line fit. What am I doing wrong?

Code: Select all

b     E    E   E
Well I'll be damned

F#      G        A      G       E  E
Here comes your ghost again

E    E      D  E D b b 
But that's not unusual

b    b    C    D   b    a  a
It's just that the moon is full

F#      G    A     G      F#   G
And you happened to call

A A A A F# G  ????  does not sound quite right to me
I have corrected a few things above, Dr. Phill. Great song... Key is e minor. Great for a D whistle...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

For some reason, DrPhill, I am not able to make the formatting come out correctly. It looks right when I preview, but then it goes to blazes on two of the lines. Hope it makes sense to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks Byll, that does sound better.

I apologise for the wacky formatting - 'code' sections should give a fixed space font, but obviously did not.
The only way I got it to look halfway good was by repeated preview/edit cycles. If I could reliably encode note length in ABC then that would have been a better solution, but once I have the notes in my head I no longer need the written music so it has worked well enough for this case.
Byll wrote:Great song... Key is e minor.
Do you mean the original key, or just what I have transposed it to? I always get drawn to minor keys - maybe a character flaw. And the song is interesting when played next to It aint me babe :D .

So thanks again for taking the time. I am slowly getting better at learning by ear, but I am not there yet.
Phill

Byll

Post by Byll »

It has been a long time DrPhill, but I think the original was keyed in f minor - 4 flats - an odd key for a pop/folk song. Your choice of e minor is perfect for a d whistle. I am actually glad you used a 'coding' instead of ABC. I do not read ABC.
'Everything Matters...'
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Byll wrote:....I think the original was keyed in f minor - 4 flats - an odd key for a pop/folk song.
I have never really understood what drives a choice of key, pitch-wise. I always assume its for the singers comfort.
Byll wrote:Your choice of e minor is perfect for a d whistle.
Its useful to know what it is in... sometimes I can choose one of my other whistles and play along. (I guess a G whistle would work here, but I do not have one of those). I tend to listen to the tune until I can hear it in my head and then try to find the melody on a whistle. I can usually make a fair stab at it these days, but I generally have to transpose (though that sounds a bit technical considering the process of trial and error that I follow).
Byll wrote:I am actually glad you used a 'coding' instead of ABC. I do not read ABC.
I know- I struggle too, there are two parts to it pitch and rhythm. I can do the pitch bit but not the rhythm bit. Same with dots. Still we found an adequate means of communicating.
Phill

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Byll wrote:It has been a long time DrPhill, but I think the original was keyed in f minor - 4 flats - an odd key for a pop/folk song. Your choice of e minor is perfect for a d whistle. I am actually glad you used a 'coding' instead of ABC. I do not read ABC.
Correct: original key if F minor. It's perfect for playing on a Bb whistle. Fits like a dream. I played it straight off along with the recording. :)
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:Correct: original key if F minor. It's perfect for playing on a Bb whistle. Fits like a dream. I played it straight off along with the recording. :)
I seem to be missing a note off the bottom of my Bb whistle :( For some reason I want to start playing along with the four-finger-down note....
Phill

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Correct: original key if F minor. It's perfect for playing on a Bb whistle. Fits like a dream. I played it straight off along with the recording. :)
I seem to be missing a note off the bottom of my Bb whistle :( For some reason I want to start playing along with the four-finger-down note....
Yes, it does go 'off the bottom', but only in a way that's fixed reasonably standardly by 'folding' the note up the octave.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:Yes, it does go 'off the bottom', but only in a way that's fixed reasonably standardly by 'folding' the note up the octave.
Hmmmm, that is a skill I have yet to learn. My logical brain says 'going down...' and my fingers do not want to go up.
Phill

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Yes, it does go 'off the bottom', but only in a way that's fixed reasonably standardly by 'folding' the note up the octave.
Hmmmm, that is a skill I have yet to learn. My logical brain says 'going down...' and my fingers do not want to go up.
Well, now, that's the problem with having a logical brain, isn't it? :D

I'm just wondering, seriously, though, whether I might be able to help with this. What if you 'stopped the tape', as it were, a few notes before that note that's too low for the whistle, and then tried to play a section of notes up the octave, instead of just one? Then, when you're used to the sound of the 'offending' note, try playing the phrase at its normal pitch, i.e. down the octave, and quickly substitute in the note that you've established from playing that part of the tune up the octave. Would that help? Just a thought ...
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:Well, now, that's the problem with having a logical brain, isn't it? :D
Indeed. When I can switch it off I play better. But something learning something new like this requires thought, at least initially.
benhall.1 wrote:I'm just wondering, seriously, though, whether I might be able to help with this. What if you 'stopped the tape', as it were, a few notes before that note that's too low for the whistle, and then tried to play a section of notes up the octave, instead of just one? Then, when you're used to the sound of the 'offending' note, try playing the phrase at its normal pitch, i.e. down the octave, and quickly substitute in the note that you've established from playing that part of the tune up the octave. Would that help? Just a thought ...
Thanks, Ben, I will give it a try when SWMBO is safely out of earshot.
Phill