Low D - Wood Anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Low D - Wood Anyone?

Post by JTU »

For those whistlers who prefer wood - I know from reading past posts there are some - when you graduated from high D to a low D did you stay with wood? A better quality question is, are there any decent low D whistles in wood that a low D beginner might consider or should I be looking at other materials bearing in mind that for me some back pressure is OK but not too much. There seems to be regular discussion here about the best low D’s so I have a good understanding of where the regular posters’ preferences lie and from there I can make a decision on what might suit me. My point is that I prefer wood and want to consider that material before opting for something else.
Thank you in advance for your help.
JTU
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Low D - Wood Anyone?

Post by fatmac »

In a word - weight - how heavy an instrument do you want to hold(?).

Aluminium has become a favourite material, because it is lighter when it comes to the bigger whistles, so they say.

(I only have one brass low D to compare my aluminium low F too, so can't say from personal experience.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

As a wood whistle fan, I have two low D whistles in wood. a Bleazey in African Blackwood and a Swayne that I think is in Boxwood (it has been covered inside and out with a black colouring, but is much lighter than my Bleazey).

fatmac talks about weight, wooden low D whistles are heavier than aluminium whistles, my Bleazey is significantly heavier, it probably weighs as much as any 3 of my metal low D whistles (it is effectively a small hole Rudall flute body with a recirder style head). The Swayne is about half the weight of the Bleazey.

My go to low D is the Swayne, due to the combination of tone, ease of playing and weight. the Bleazey is the next, it has a more recordery tone and greater air requirements than any of my other low Ds. Of my metal low D whistles I like the Burke viper (the lightest one) and the Impempe (the heaviest).

If you like wood whistles, get a wooden low D, I did and the metal low Ds in my collection hardly see the light of day.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

I would strongly recommend the Garvie blackwood low D, but Nigel has stopped making them. His website says "We are no longer taking orders for these whistles. We have shared our design with a pipe maker in Galicia. A link to his site will be added soon."
see http://www.garviebagpipes.co.uk/info/wh ... istle.html

He has now opened his list for pipes, though.

b
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

I have to choose between Copeland, Bleazey, and Dixon when I want to play low D..... life is tough.

I choose the Bleazey most often - but it is not material that guides my choice, but the entirely different ways the whistles play. I never think about the weight difference... could not tell you which was lightest from memory... guess I dont care.

I find the Bleazey the most exacting, but most rewarding of the three. The small holes give nice crisp edges to cuts and taps, but make half-holing more difficult. Breathe control seems harder.
I also find the volume of the E in both octaves a better match with the notes either side of it, and the volume does not seem to increase as much with pitch.
I am sure that little of these preferences is caused by the material, and most by the form.

Done a while ago but may give some idea
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Phil Hardy made a small number of Chieftain Low D's in solid brass, which he called the "Chieftain Gold". It was far heavier than an aluminium Low D, far heavier than an African Blackwood Low D. I had to start using a sax strap to support it, because using friction of the fingers on the whistle body alone meant keeping a "death grip" on the thing, which did not promote good playing.

BTW Reyburn has made Low D's with a thin aluminium tube body and maple-wood head, which have a rich woody recorder-like or Native American flute-like tone, and are extremely lightweight in the hands. They get the tone of a wooden whistle combined with the strong low notes of a metal whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Buggles
Tell us something.: Still coming to terms with Low D's. Been playing Harmonicas for over sixty years and am a member of the Duo 'Offbeat' who play at a community market every second Saturday of the month, excluding August and December.

Post by Buggles »

Hi all.

Have been away for sometime and just noticed the item re wooden whistles. I too would recommend a Garvie should one become available on the various sites, Ebay, Used Instrument Exchange, etc.

Have had mine (Mopane) for 3 years and am just coming to appreciate the quality of this instrument. Took it to a gig last Thursday and was knocked out by the response I had from the audience. The only other wooden whistle that I have any experience of is the Swayne (heard this being played at a folk festival in Priddy, Somerset) but the cost may be prohibitive?

Best of luck in your search.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

I'd try Roy McManus.. http://www.roymcmanus.co.uk/ . First class workmanship and reasonably quick turnaround.

I have Low-A in Indian Ebony and regular D in Mexican Cocobolo from Roy and love both to play.

The only thing I will say regarding wooden whistles in general - and extrapolating to likely Low-D characteristics - they are going to be breathier than alternatives. My Low-D is an aluminium early '80s Overton which is quite economical to fill. MK and Burke viper are good in this regard too. It's not an insignificant consideration when you're dealing with Low-D.

But if it must be wood - couldn't recommend Roy highly enough - master craftsman.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

pancelticpiper wrote:I had to start using a sax strap to support it, because using friction of the fingers on the whistle body alone meant keeping a "death grip" on the thing, which did not promote good playing
I’m seeing more and more clarinet, oboe, and soprano sax players with neck straps, and I’ve joined the club. It really helps with left-hand dexterity and strain.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi JTU

Bleazey low D on eBay UK uf you are interested.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

BigDavy
I have decided after more research to go for the Kerry Optima non tuneable Low D at a bit over $100 AUD (£49). That way if I decide I have bitten off more than I can chew with the Low D I haven’t wasted lots of cash. If I can manage the Low D OK I will buy one of wood.
Thank you for your help
JTU

Post by JTU »

The Kerry Optima arrived. Never having had a low D in my hands before I couldn’t believe how big it was. I looked at it, held it a while and pondered that there was no way I could ever play this thing, pipers grip or not. There goes $120 I thought as I considered which draw I should leave it in never to see the light of day again - much like the gadget purchases most of us make out of mailed catalogues from time to time. But actually to my surprise the pipers grip works. Obviously the consistent hole coverage I will need to match my mediocre playing of the High D will take some time and effort but even after only a few days with the low D I can see that happening.
The Kerry Optima appears (caveat -no experience with any other Low D’s) to be a really nice whistle, lovely sound, relatively cheap, weighs next to nothing and breath wise it seems to be fairly similar to any High D I have played.
I’m glad I didn’t give into any defeatist instincts and put it away never to be seen again.
Cheers