Common method used to sell whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Common method used to sell whistles?

Post by MichaelRS »

So, as I'm getting ready in the next couple of weeks to sell off a small group of whistles, what is the most common method or protocol people use to do that here?

I pretty much plan to ask 2/3 of the price I paid for them retail or from the maker, as they are all in "like new condition", and I will cover the STANDARD shipping mailing cost if mailed to anywhere in the US and up to the price of US shipping if to Canada or Europe.

And I won't be offering any guarantees other than to say that the whistles are in the condition that I received them from the retailer or maker. They have no defects that I know of and I'm only selling them because I personally don't like the found that much or how they play for me. Though most are brands and models that people swear by, so it's probably just me.

But other than that, for those of you who have sold here, how do you work the money exchange so everybody's feeling comfortable about not getting cheated?

And how do you do it with a fair method where several people may be interested? Is bidding appropriate for here?
Sorry if these are rather basic questions, but I have never sold anything online before.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Common method used to sell whistles?

Post by kkrell »

If you want bidding, use eBay and pay your fees (eBay & PayPal together approx. 13-15%). Too bad they're not guitars & basses - those only get a final value fee of 3.5% + PayPal.

Otherwise, determine a price, post it in the Used Instrument Exchange + appropriate flute or whistle forum. Take money by method you prefer. Most use PayPal, but depending on whether you are comfortable with the buyer, you might also accept check, money order, or whatever. First come, first served at your asked price is considerate, but you can certainly choose amongst your potential buyers, or accept lower offers or trades by PM. Continue your listing, or lower price if you think you've priced it out of reach. You can also post in whistle for sale forums on Facebook, or anywhere else you think you might reach your target market. If the whistles are somewhat high-end, you might also consider consignment through the Irish Flute Store: https://www.irishflutestore.com/collections/all

View the C&F CCCP section 6 on Buying and Selling:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84192#p1038849
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have only sold on this forum once, but I have purchased a number of things over the years. Most recently I have been asked to pay via paypal's friend and family payment. And I think that is how my buyer paid me. That has no fee or a small one if I remember correctly. There was in the recent past a person who did not pay for some item if I am remembering correctly. It is such an uncommon event here that there was a bit of a to do. Again, I may not be remembering all the details. If you are dealing with large sums you could consider Ebay since it provides some sort of buyer and seller protection. Or contact the Irish flute Store. Both of those options carry a commission. So it is a balance.

Pictures of the instruments might be useful, though, when I sold a tweaked blackbird I just described it since I am not technologically savvy.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

busterbill wrote:I have only sold on this forum once, but I have purchased a number of things over the years. Most recently I have been asked to pay via paypal's friend and family payment. And I think that is how my buyer paid me. That has no fee or a small one if I remember correctly. There was in the recent past a person who did not pay for some item if I am remembering correctly. It is such an uncommon event here that there was a bit of a to do. Again, I may not be remembering all the details. If you are dealing with large sums you could consider Ebay since it provides some sort of buyer and seller protection. Or contact the Irish flute Store. Both of those options carry a commission. So it is a balance.

Pictures of the instruments might be useful, though, when I sold a tweaked blackbird I just described it since I am not technologically savvy.
Yes thanks. I have the items up for sale now. Nothing super fantastic. I think a reasonable deal. I don't think there's any need to post a picture as they're all basically in like new condition.

The ones I'm selling I only twiddle around with a few minutes at a time on about three different occasions. Just enough to make sure the the reason I didn't like them that much was not because I just wasn't used to them.
So they are not ill-use or much used and photographs of their type are all over the place.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Don't really want to hijack this thread, but wanted to point out that using the "friends and family" option for PayPal to purchase items is against their policy and can result in the loss of your account. Granted, they would probably never catch you, but why not give them their due for a vital service?

End of rant...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

plunk111 wrote:Don't really want to hijack this thread, but wanted to point out that using the "friends and family" option for PayPal to purchase items is against their policy and can result in the loss of your account. Granted, they would probably never catch you, but why not give them their due for a vital service?

End of rant...
If the seller has heartburn about the fee PayPal charges for "goods and services", or is looking to get a specific dollar amount in their pocket (and so doesn't want to give any of the sale price to PayPal), I usually offer to cover that as a buyer.

It's worth it to me for the buyer protections. I've never had a bad C&F transaction (and I've made a number of them), but there's a first time for everything.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Problem with selling whistles in batches is ofcourse that if you're interested in one, you're forced to buy another few you may not want at all. Which makes it generally an uninviting proposition.
My brain hurts

MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Problem with selling whistles in batches is ofcourse that if you're interested in one, you're forced to buy another few you may not want at all. Which makes it generally an uninviting proposition.
True and I may change that. But then I'm not going to cover the postage along the way because then that IMO becomes an unreasonable loss for me, when I'm already offering a major discount and to cover the postage.