Happy St Paddy's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Happy St Paddy's

Post by Polara Pat »

Anyone else playing music tonight? This will be the second year in a row for playing ITM and Irish sing-alongs in my garage. Last year I was very green on the whistle but it was still a blast and everyone there was singing at full volume. This year we actually have a mandolin player and guitar with me whistling and singing (hopefully not at the same time) and we actually have a set list. So fancy. We also make heaps of food since that's what we do for a living. Can't wait.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Happy St Paddy's

Post by PB+J »

We are having about twenty people over for dinner. I'm taking a break from chopping. I might be cajoled into playing a tune or two.

My family, growing up, never made a big deal about St Patrick's day and neither did my wife's family. I think we were all put off by combination of excessive drunkenness and disposable green ornaments and signs. It's actually very unusual that we're doing anything for the day. Philly, my hometown, has more Irish immigrants than any city in the US except NYC, but the Irish never captured politics in Philly the way they did in NY, Boston, Chicago, San Fran. So there was never a huge fuss about the day in My lifetime. it was more about what my grandmother called the Eyetalians

When I was 18 I lived in Manhattan and experienced my first NYC St. Patrick's day, probably 1978. UNBELIEVABLE. Every cop in town was marching. Where the parade let out on the upper east side it was just nuts.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

PB+J wrote:
My family, growing up, never made a big deal about St Patrick's day and neither did my wife's family. I think we were all put off by combination of excessive drunkenness and disposable green ornaments and signs. It's actually very unusual that we're doing anything for the day. Philly, my hometown, has more Irish immigrants than any city in the US except NYC, but the Irish never captured politics in Philly the way they did in NY, Boston, Chicago, San Fran. So there was never a huge fuss about the day in My lifetime. it was more about what my grandmother called the Eyetalians

When I was 18 I lived in Manhattan and experienced my first NYC St. Patrick's day, probably 1978. UNBELIEVABLE. Every cop in town was marching. Where the parade let out on the upper east side it was just nuts.
I've heard that about Philly, is that where Liberty Bellows is?

We definitely try not to fall into too many bad habits and no bloody green beer!! Pretty much just an excuse to see old friend, play music and stuff our faces. Plus maybe a titch of whiskey.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:I think we were all put off by combination of excessive drunkenness and disposable green ornaments and signs.
That would be me. The being put off, that is, not the indulging in clichés and bacchanalian debauchery by all and sundry (which, scratch me deep enough, I always found frankly racist).

I came to dread the St. Paddy's gigs. Sure, you made money, but heaven help you if during breaks someone didn't stay on point to protect the setup from drunks who thought it was okay to lurch onto the stage and handle the instruments if they didn't break them by crashing into them first. Had some very close calls that way.

I'm happy to be done with that. When people ask incredulously why I don't go out on the day appointed, I reply, "Meh. For me, it's always St. Paddy's Day." :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Growing up the day was all about the family dinner, corned beef, cabbage, potato, carrots, and yes some indulgences. These days I play in a group and we did play at the local Irish club and various libraries, assisted living facilities, house parties during the past weeks. Today is special but every day is special as well playing the traditional Irish music.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

We just did our gig at the local Irish pub, who has hosted our session every wednesday. Already done for today, kicking back at home with a beer or three, local newspapers already reporting that "the guy with the concertina is gone, you can all go outside now."

We're going to have the traditional St. Pat's day feast of pizza because I forgot to set up the crockpot in the morning.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caj wrote:We're going to have the traditional St. Pat's day feast of pizza because I forgot to set up the crockpot in the morning.
Gotcha covered:

Corned Beef and Cabbage Pizza

Oh, yes they did.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

I suppose it's just how you make it. I've stopped inviting people who just get smashed. I have a great group of friends and it's always good to see everyone. I also just went for an amazing x-country ski behind my house in short sleeve shirt and full sun. What a day.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

My father used to say we’re Irish every day, we don’t need st Patrick’s day. By which he meant Irish American

We had a grand party with lots of neighbors, kids running around, I made huge amount of lamb stew and some brown bread and my daughter made an apple cake. I had an Irish music playlist going all night which people loved. I whistled a couple tunes to kind and undeserved applause. People drank enough to be sociable but no more, it’s a school night!

I remember kind of dreading New Year’s Eve gigs. Sometimes fun, and they paid well, but tended to lower my opinion of my fellow man.
Last edited by PB+J on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:I remember kind dreading New Year’s Eve gigs. Sometimes fun, and they paid well, but tended to lower my opinion of my fellow man.
With the bars in mind, where I live we call both New Year's Eve and St. Patrick's Day "Amateur Night".
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

There are Sober St. Patrick's Day events in several locations.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As a Highland piper and uilleann piper I've been doing St Pat's gigs for 40 years now.

Back in the 70s it was Highland pipes in noisy crowded pubs from morning to midnight, sometimes the pubs were so loud I couldn't hear myself play.

In the 80s I played with an Irish band (accordion guitar fiddle uilleann pipes etc) and it was more noisy pubs, only then we had mics and big speakers.

For around 20 years now every St Pat's eve has been the same gig: a small quiet house party. I just sit in the corner and play uilleann pipes, whistles, and Scottish smallpipes. I'm paid well and I'm home by 10pm. It's ideal for me.

This year St Pat's was more of a season than a day! It went like this:

1) Thursday March 14: two gigs with an Irish band, one 2 hours, one 4 hours. Uilleann pipes, whistles, and drum for me.

2) Friday March 15: solo Highland pipe gig, waiting around for 2 hours to play for 2 minutes, a high-end corporate thing.

3) Saturday March 16: pub crawl with some Highland pipers and drummers. March in, play a few tunes, pass the hat, and get out. No pub owner is going to say "no" to free entertainment!

4) Sunday March 17: just the house party in the early evening. Oddly I didn't get a Church gig on St Pat's, which have been a staple for me over the years.

How about St Pat's pics??

Here's the start of the pub crawl, Ballast Point Brewery, Long Beach California, clear cloudless skies and 75f.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Quite a week you had Richard; it's a good test of your endurance. Mine was a 3 hour event on March 10 at a craft beer private party - guitar/singer and me on the whistle. I only had one beer, which took a bit of self control.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

A musician friend of mine made a good point on facebook the other day.

Yes, St. Patrick's Day in the US has very little to do with honoring St. Patrick, or Irish tradition. And it has more to do with dressing goofy in green and partying hard and getting drunk (esp. for the younger crowd). But it gives a lot of musicians work and puts a lot of green in their pockets. And that's something.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Wanderer wrote:A musician friend of mine made a good point on facebook the other day.

Yes, St. Patrick's Day in the US has very little to do with honoring St. Patrick, or Irish tradition. And it has more to do with dressing goofy in green and partying hard and getting drunk (esp. for the younger crowd). But it gives a lot of musicians work and puts a lot of green in their pockets. And that's something.
Nailed it!! My good friend who I jam with is from Derry and has always hated this day until we started doing this party in my garage. Now it's his favourite. Haha. There is a direct correlation between my ability to play and the amount of drinks i imbibe. Therefore, I drank tea until after 8:00 on the 17th, then just a couple Guinness. Great night.