Pat O'Riordan has died.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tldawkins
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pat O'Riordan has died.

Post by tldawkins »

Patrick Jeremiah O'Riordan, master whistle craftsman passed away on March 7, 2019, at the age of 91. I believe I have seen previous listings on this sight of Pat's passing, but they were incorrect. I live in the same city (Ft Wayne, IN) and he was a family friend. You can probably see the obit at www.journalgazette.net. Pat was a kind and friendly man always willing to take time for people. His whistles are in use all over the world by many musicians, including Joanie Madden. -Thomas L Dawkins
whistle1000

Re: Pat O'Riordan has died.

Post by whistle1000 »

I shared the news on Monday...I find it hard to see how any of the information was incorrect... :-? Regardless...it is silly to debate such things in the overall picture...R.I.P Mr. O'Riordan
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

tldawkins wrote:Patrick Jeremiah O'Riordan, master whistle craftsman passed away on March 7, 2019, at the age of 91.

...the obit at http://www.journalgazette.net.
Here's the obit, quite short https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/fortw ... =191823659

So sorry to hear of Pat's passing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

whistle1000 wrote:I shared the news on Monday...I find it hard to see how any of the information was incorrect... :-? Regardless...it is silly to debate such things in the overall picture...R.I.P Mr. O'Riordan
I believe tldawkins is referring to once or twice years ago when Pat's death was incorrectly reported on this board.

Pat's whistles are wonderful, and he was never less than a gentleman in his interactions with me. RIP.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks Solomon! That makes sense...I saw similar posts over the years....p'raps I'll get a chance at your lovely O'Riordan low D next time you're in Sin Jawn's....my first time seeing or hearing one...a great sounding whistle....well, you made it sound great anyways. All the besht!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

whistle1000 wrote:Thanks Solomon! That makes sense...I saw similar posts over the years....p'raps I'll get a chance at your lovely O'Riordan low D next time you're in Sin Jawn's....my first time seeing or hearing one...a great sounding whistle....well, you made it sound great anyways. All the besht!
Ha! I actually tried recording "Petty Harbour Bait Skiff" on it earlier this week as a bit of a tribute to Pat, but while the whistle IMO sounds great, I wasn't happy with my playing.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I took a chance on an expensive (to me at the time) set of d/c whistles by an unknown maker back in the early 90s. I"m not sure C&P was even a thing yet. I was still getting paper catalogues from Lark in the Morning and ordering by phone. I feel very privileged to have them in my life. I wish I could have met him. He sounded like a great person. I particularly enjoyed the interview he gave some time ago. It is on YouTube somewhere I think. He has given many people great joy.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Some years back, I had a couple of whistles that I sent to Pat on different occasions. One was an F that he made a G body for, and the other was the 'Tin of Whistles' that just sounded funky. He made the G tube and apologized profusely for the poor sound of the 'Tin.." and replaced the head. Neither time would he accept money, so I sent steaks for one and a bottle of fine whiskey for the other. He thanked me heartily for both, and we had some nice visits.

May you rest in peace on this St. Paddy's day, Patrick O'Riordan as your family and friends attend your memorial. Your contribution and character will live on forever.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire