Feadoggie?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
abaration
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have been lurking around the forums for the past months. Excited to finally hop in and join the fun.

Feadoggie?

Post by abaration »

New to the whistling community and I have basically lived and breathed this forum the past few weeks. Starting from the latest posts, I've been backreading, and I am now up to the posts from 2010. And going. I may need an intervention. But that's another matter.

Came here to say I am extremely curious as to what ever happened to Feadoggie. Saw the posts from 2017 of people a bit worried about his inactivity and I didn't take much heed. But now that I'm up to the posts from 2010 and I have read plenty of his replies, he has become one of my favorite posters. Haven't even had a single virtual interaction with him but he just seems like a nice guy and his posts have been helpful to a noob like me that I think I'd sleep better at night knowing he's okay. Anybody got any news on him? :-?
whistle1000

Re: Feadoggie?

Post by whistle1000 »

Oh man! If you ever read any of my posts wondering the same thing, I'd be very curious as well....he seems to have "disappeared" around the same time my Water Weasel C, D Eb set with and extra D sent to him for him to adjust the D whistle head to the other bodies....I think about this missing set all the time! My only bad interaction to date on CandF :cry:
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

It has been quite some time since I asked the same question on the board. I felt honored to know Feadoggie, and both received some of his prototype whistles - which I still own - and reviewed them for him, privately. I met Feadoggie selling his wares at a large Celtic Festival in Pennsylvania, where my band was performing. My daughter played with the band for a number of years, and for her high d, she chose one of Feadoggie's prototypes. His instruments were well made, and were so much better than average.

Feadoggie did not want his given name used on the board, but I used that name in my search for him, to the degree I felt was proper. My search has been to no avail. He disappeared from here very suddenly, and I have not been able to locate him.

He added so much to the board. He was knowledgeable, clever, kind, and had a brand of wisdom that is rare... I remember at one point I was ... exercised a bit ... at the blatant use of the Sindt design, by another whistle product that has been praised on this board. Quite a number of PM's went back and forth between us. Feadoggie helped me to calm a bit, and look at the bigger picture. He had that gift.

I thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront again. I do miss him...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Byll wrote:I thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront again. I do miss him...
As do I, although I never made his acquaintance outside this forum.

Here on C&F, he never missed a chance to encourage someone to make a whistle for themselves, and help them along in the process. I don't have the whistle-making chops to fill this void, but having made a few musical instruments myself, I think it's a gift to be able to make a real musical instrument with a trip to the hardware store and a few hours work. Music making, and musical instrument making, are too precious to be left entirely to the professionals.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Tunborough wrote:Music making, and musical instrument making, are too precious to be left entirely to the professionals.
That's why its called folk arts... emphasis folk.

I certainly miss Feadoggie around here Chiffing. There must be someone from PA here on the forum that knew him personally and can provide some info of what happened.
abaration
Tell us something.: Have been lurking around the forums for the past months. Excited to finally hop in and join the fun.

Post by abaration »

whistle1000 wrote:Oh man! If you ever read any of my posts wondering the same thing, I'd be very curious as well....he seems to have "disappeared" around the same time my Water Weasel C, D Eb set with and extra D sent to him for him to adjust the D whistle head to the other bodies....I think about this missing set all the time! My only bad interaction to date on CandF :cry:
Oh, man. I feel you. If I could hug you I would. Just kidding. That's incredibly unfortunate. I would imagine the Schultzes are dear to you. If it were me I'd be peeved out too. I'd almost wish I didn't have evidence of his character so I can just be one-note angry and be done with it. Sometimes it's easier that way haha. Not sure if you feel the same way but it's just a little difficult believing he took them in bad faith. Maybe I'm new here but I have the idea that it's not the biggest community and he's a staple and has built a sterling reputation over the years. Really hope Feadoggie comes back, and with him your Water Weasels. Maybe he'd even make things right and return them with "interest". Add a A/Bb/G set maybe? Lol maybe I'm too trusting but just based on two weeks of reading him that may just be something he'd do.
abaration

Post by abaration »

Byll wrote: He added so much to the board. He was knowledgeable, clever, kind, and had a brand of wisdom that is rare... I remember at one point I was ... exercised a bit ... at the blatant use of the Sindt design, by another whistle product that has been praised on this board. Quite a number of PM's went back and forth between us. Feadoggie helped me to calm a bit, and look at the bigger picture. He had that gift.

I thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront again. I do miss him...
I especially love when he'd go on to a compose a looong well-crafted reply enumerating things in jest, tongue in cheek, before finally answering the newbie's question with a serious, helpful answer in the end. I enjoyed those. Better writing than listicles from actual paid writers hahaha.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

abaration wrote:
whistle1000 wrote:Oh man! If you ever read any of my posts wondering the same thing, I'd be very curious as well....he seems to have "disappeared" around the same time my Water Weasel C, D Eb set with and extra D sent to him for him to adjust the D whistle head to the other bodies....I think about this missing set all the time! My only bad interaction to date on CandF :cry:
Oh, man. I feel you. If I could hug you I would. Just kidding. That's incredibly unfortunate. I would imagine the Schultzes are dear to you. If it were me I'd be peeved out too. I'd almost wish I didn't have evidence of his character so I can just be one-note angry and be done with it. Sometimes it's easier that way haha. Not sure if you feel the same way but it's just a little difficult believing he took them in bad faith. Maybe I'm new here but I have the idea that it's not the biggest community and he's a staple and has built a sterling reputation over the years. Really hope Feadoggie comes back, and with him your Water Weasels. Maybe he'd even make things right and return them with "interest". Add a A/Bb/G set maybe? Lol maybe I'm too trusting but just based on two weeks of reading him that may just be something he'd do.
Given Feadoggie's extensive record of commendable Board behavior, I think people should stop assuming there was bad faith involved until we know for sure. Tragedy may have befallen him.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
abaration

Post by abaration »

Nanohedron wrote: Given Feadoggie's extensive record of commendable Board behavior, I think people should stop assuming there was bad faith involved until we know for sure. Tragedy may have befallen him.
Even without knowing him for years like you guys did, I share the same thoughts. Doesn't even cross your mind, really. Some form of misfortune seems to be only logical explanation, unfortunately. Wish he is well.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I have always held Feadoggie in high regard! In his kind nature, he even offered to help me with my WW issue when others (Paul Busman comes to mind) suggested not to bother, Feadoggie, being Feadoggie, kindly messaged me and offered to try to sort me out. I never once, nor do I now ever think that he stole them or did anything untoward with any bad intentions! I would not have sent them to him in the first place...I would just like to know what happened to him and my whistles...it is a mystery that has yet to be solved...someone did suggest once that I should write a letter to the address where I sent the whistles and inquire about them...I thought about it but I didn't do it in the end....I didn't want to send such a letter to a family that may be grieving, missing their loved one etcetera...I felt that it would have been in bad taste...with the passing of time, I may just do that if only out of curiosity...I'll let yee know what I find....A mystery for sure...on that note, where in the dickens is that other gem of a member? The one and only MT GURU...I miss that member as well!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

whistle1000 wrote:...someone did suggest once that I should write a letter to the address where I sent the whistles and inquire about them...I thought about it but I didn't do it in the end....I didn't want to send such a letter to a family that may be grieving, missing their loved one etcetera...I felt that it would have been in bad taste...with the passing of time, I may just do that if only out of curiosity...
It being two years hence, I think enough time has passed. There's also his email. Since you sent something to him, you must have his actual name, so you should also be able to do a web search.

As to MTGuru, he had to devote his attention to caring for his mother.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks for the info on the Guru! I wa just reviewing some old messages with Feadoggie, looking for his address...for the life of me I can't find it there...we must have also exchanged emails....I've recenrly purged alot of emails but I'm still hoping to find it...the last message from him was early August 2015...he gave me a detailed account of what he did...an incredible amount of work and effort by the sounds of it...he even offered to send me some of his own for taking so long and he was adamant that he did not want to be paid for his time..he did say that he was having some health issues and apologized for the delay because of it....and even mentioned that he was not even on CandF anymore because of the health issues...he was just checking to see if I was still at the same address as he was about to send them out....I followed up again in early January of 2016....wished him a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...that message went unanswered :( he was a retired engineer when a member....I fear that he may possibly still be unwell or even has passed....I so now want to find his address to know for certain....he would not have put in all that time and effort just to rip me off in the end....I hope one day we will all know what became of our beloved Feadoggie....pieces of plastic are miniscule in the bigger picture....I wasn't a fan of the WW to be honest, I was having them repaired so I could sell them.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My fear for quite some time, has been that Nano's comment above, is correct.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:Since you sent something to him, you must have his actual name, so you should also be able to do a web search.
I was able to come up with his name and location, but unfortunately a web search gives me nothing.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Nanohedron wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Since you sent something to him, you must have his actual name, so you should also be able to do a web search.
I was able to come up with his name and location, but unfortunately a web search gives me nothing.
Right. All I can say is if valuable property is "unaccounted for" (from all I've heard of feadoggie, I wouldn't say "stolen"!), a quick call or explanatory letter to the XYZ county sheriff's office should be able to clear the matter up quick. His location is a small town in a relatively rural county. Shouldn't be too hard to locate for proper authorities!

It may well be that feadoggie (his name and location and possible street of residence can all be found right here on C&F) is sick or has died or something else has happened. It could be that relatives have the whistles in question and have no idea how to contact their owners. They may not know about C&F! They may not know the name "feadoggie".

Each of our online existences here is tenuous at best. When real life happens, there may be dozens of online communities that just never know what happened. Obviously, it's not my place (or any member's or moderator's place) to go looking in the real world for what happened. The only one with a dog in the race here is whistle1000 and if I were him and really wanted those whistles back, I'd say the way is pretty clear as to how to go about it in a non-antagonistic way.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373