Thoughts on Alexander Karavaev Nightingale Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
murchmb

Thoughts on Alexander Karavaev Nightingale Whistles?

Post by murchmb »

Does anyone have personal experience with/thoughts about this maker's whistles? I'm considering a Low F and possibly a Low D. I found some C&F forum activity from last year and prior, but couldn't find any reviews or discussion of how they play. There are a couple of Youtube videos, but again no substantial performance discussion or comparisons with other makes. Any input would be appreciated.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Thoughts on Alexander Karavaev Nightingale Whistles?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just for review, here's Alexander's own thread about his whistles

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105877&hilit=karavaev

and the thread I started a few years ago when I stumbled upon his whistles

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102072&hilit=karavaev

Yes I too would be interested to find out more.

This video is excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5FHTyw4ZM

Andrew speaks English very well and isn't merely promoting Alexander's whistles, but honestly discusses various performance aspects. He mentions that Alexander's whistles have lower backpressure, require a greater quantity of air, and have flatter high notes than the whistles he normally uses. He says a week of playing Alexander's whistles enabled him to adjust to these different requirements. It would have been helpful had Andrew mentioned what his normal whistles are, to give context to his impressions.

I'm intrigued by his Low Whistles with alloy tube body and moulded plastic head (somewhat akin to the Dixon and the Optima) which are priced very reasonably.

I'm probably going to order Alexander's Low E (natural) whistle because I have need for that key. Once I get it I will post a review here of course!
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I met the man at the height of a late mad Thursday night at the Willie week last year. He was advertising whistles all over town but we never got to see any of them, he didn't seem to have a head for whistle talk by the time I ran into him.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Glad to hear he was at Willie Week. I would imagine it would be an excellent opportunity to introduce his whistles to a wide clientele.

Many people must have tried his whistles there! It would be great to hear some reviews.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Many people must have tried his whistles there!
That's the thing though, they were nowhere to be seen. Flyers everywhere, no whistles to be seen.
My brain hurts

neviditsin
Tell us something.: I love tin whistle and on this forum a lot of information. i read a lot about chose tin whistle on forum and other.

Post by neviditsin »

Very good whistles for good price. Here instagram of Karavaev

https://www.instagram.com/whistles_workshop/
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Colleen Shanks playing Karavaev high C# whistle
Colleen Shanks playing Karavaev high E whistle

Edited to add: I haven't had a chance to play a Karavaev whistle of any sort, but I trust Colleen's judgment, and these videos definitely caught my attention.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
That's the thing though, they were nowhere to be seen. Flyers everywhere, no whistles to be seen.
Very strange. A great way to get the word out about a new maker is to get the instruments into people's hands.

I used to teach Irish flute at a certain festival every year. On the way to the workshop I'd stop by a guy's booth and borrow half a dozen Ralph Sweet maple flutes. Back then they sold for $125, as I recall.

At the workshop I'd hand them out to anyone to wanted to try. At the end of the workshop I'd gather them up and tell everyone that they would be available to purchase at that booth. Every year they sold several of the things, sometimes they'd sell every one.

If Alexander arranged something like that at the whistle workshops his trip home would be lighter than his trip there.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Chancey
Tell us something.: I love Chiff & Fipple. I would like to join the boards and participate in conversations. Irish flute is one of my favorite instruments.

Post by Chancey »

Makes a lot of sense to do stuff like that. How else do they suppose people could get interested in their product?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I thought there was a whistle tour happening.

viewtopic.php?p=1196192#p1196192
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

ytliek wrote:I thought there was a whistle tour happening.

I'm always up for a whistle tour!!

It hasn't made it to me, that's all I know.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

pancelticpiper wrote:
ytliek wrote:I thought there was a whistle tour happening.

I'm always up for a whistle tour!!

It hasn't made it to me, that's all I know.
I don't think it ever happened in USA or Europe, but, I don't keep up with a lot of the low whistle events.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm dredging this thread up because his whistles are listed on Ebay regularly, and I've noticed a couple interesting things.

One is that (unlike most makers) he gives the specs of each whistle on its Ebay listing.

I only see Low Whistles, in F, E, Eb, D, and C.

They vary in length of course but the interesting thing is that he's using the same tubing for all those keys.

He says the tubing's OD is 25mm and the wall thickness is 1.5mm which would give an ID of 22mm, or .866 inch.

That seems great for the Low D; my Goldie's ID is .858 and it plays very well.

And I would think it would be fine for the Low C and Low Eb.

But I question an F having a bore that wide. Burkes tend to have big bores (a tad too big for my liking) and my Burke F has an ID of .78

The other thing is that Alexander lists four different styles on Ebay. They're odd in that three of the four styles share the same name.

From most to least expensive:

1) Silver Nightingale

Alloy Low Whistle looking much like an Overton, with Celtic engraving, and tuning slide.

2) Black Nightingale

Black plastic top on a black anodised alloy tube, with tuning slide.

3) Silver Nightingale

Black plastic top on a plain alloy tube, with tuning slide.

4) Silver Nightingale

Like the above but lacking tuning slide.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Oldemanwinters
Tell us something.: I am looking to join the community of Traditional players and expand my knowledge of this music genre. Also to seek aid in playing the uilleann pipes and flute.

Post by Oldemanwinters »

I have one of his high whistles in B natural and absolutely love it.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Oldemanwinters wrote:I have one of his high whistles in B natural and absolutely love it.
Great to hear from an owner of an AK whistle!

I'm close to pulling the trigger on his Low E, but I'm concerned about the large bore size and how that might affect performance.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle