Getting a new whistle - what key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Krasnojarsk

Getting a new whistle - what key?

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Hi there,

So I've decided to treat myself to a new Burke whistle in the next few weeks. I got my first Burke high D a few months back, and I absolutely love it. Now, here's the "conundrum" (a luxury problem more like). I play in weekly sessions with a bit of singing, so I use my Killarney C maybe 5% of the time for a couple of songs, and the rest it's just D. However, while I have a perfectly fine C whistle, I'm nevertheless trying to decide between a Bb and a Burke C. I absolutely love the sound of Bb whistles, so this would be almost purely for my own enjoyment, and maybe the occasional tune at sessions, so long as I make the presence of a dodgy key clear beforehand... One the other hand, I am pretty certain I would enjoy the sound of a Burke C over the Killarney (I love the D, but there's something about the C that just makes it... less than perfect. I dunno). I know there is no correct answer to this, but I'm curious as to what you would do here, so I can crowdsource my decision as it were...

I'm leaning towards a Bb, mostly because it would be something "new". Thanks for any input or inspiration, and while the answer "get both" is not unwelcome, I need to space my whistle purchases out in time so as not to go loopy. :D

Thanks!

P
whistlecollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Getting a new whistle - what key?

Post by whistlecollector »

Krasnojarsk wrote:Hi there,

So I've decided to treat myself to a new Burke whistle in the next few weeks. I got my first Burke high D a few months back, and I absolutely love it. Now, here's the "conundrum" (a luxury problem more like). I play in weekly sessions with a bit of singing, so I use my Killarney C maybe 5% of the time for a couple of songs, and the rest it's just D. However, while I have a perfectly fine C whistle, I'm nevertheless trying to decide between a Bb and a Burke C. I absolutely love the sound of Bb whistles, so this would be almost purely for my own enjoyment, and maybe the occasional tune at sessions, so long as I make the presence of a dodgy key clear beforehand... One the other hand, I am pretty certain I would enjoy the sound of a Burke C over the Killarney (I love the D, but there's something about the C that just makes it... less than perfect. I dunno). I know there is no correct answer to this, but I'm curious as to what you would do here, so I can crowdsource my decision as it were...

I'm leaning towards a Bb, mostly because it would be something "new". Thanks for any input or inspiration, and while the answer "get both" is not unwelcome, I need to space my whistle purchases out in time so as not to go loopy. :D

Thanks!

P
Well, here's the pros & cons:

D: pros: you love the whistle make and the sound // you use it all the time || no cons -- don't buy another high d this time around (save that for later!!)
C: pros: you have one that you like || cons: you don't use it much -- I'd say don't buy a c this time around either
Bb: pros: you love the sound of a Bb whistle // you'd enjoy playing a Bb whistle // you might use it here and there // you don't have but need one! || no cons

Choice is obvious: buy the Bb this time around and don't hesitate one minute longer!!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

whistlecollector wrote: Well, here's the pros & cons:

D: pros: you love the whistle make and the sound // you use it all the time || no cons -- don't buy another high d this time around (save that for later!!)
C: pros: you have one that you like || cons: you don't use it much -- I'd say don't buy a c this time around either
Bb: pros: you love the sound of a Bb whistle // you'd enjoy playing a Bb whistle // you might use it here and there // you don't have but need one! || no cons

Choice is obvious: buy the Bb this time around and don't hesitate one minute longer!!
Ah, that's beautiful, thank you! :love: You should consider writing a treatise on the logic and formal semantics of whistle buying. I have to say I'm extremely convinced. Bb it is!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'm only a recent whistle blower, but my preferences are low F, low D, A, & C, in that order. :D

I do have 2x Bb Gens, (plus all the higher ones), but have, & play more on my A's, a Trad & an aluminium tunable made by Tony Dixon.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

I have 2 Burkes, a low D and B natural. which are lovely (even when I play them).

If you were thinking of going to lower keys, why not get a B natural whistle and a Bb generation and cover both bases.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Bb which adds a new key to your kit.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

For me, when there is singing, the Bb sees a lot of action, followed by the A.
Though I like the C very much, it gets played the least.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

Getting an extra C isn't adding to your options. You will play very little Bb in sessions - so it's main use will be for personal amusement at home.

Burke Viper Low-D aluminium would be my first suggestion. If you can make the hop to Low-D you will be able to make a lot of use of it in sessions or to play along with recordings.

If you really like the ability to play in Bb - go for the Low-F which is a half-way house "low" whistle. And you can also play in Bb easily on it. The Key of F is to Bb same as Key of D is to G. Great whistle for jamming along to jazz/blues stuff in Bb. My ratio of use of Low-F to Bb is about 5::1. But they are both outlier instruments in sessions (rarely used). Low F is also easy-ish to play in key of C.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

A lets you sit in comfortably with the Scottish smallpipers...

Given the advice you've received so far, just get something in every key.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
neviditsin
Tell us something.: I love tin whistle and on this forum a lot of information. i read a lot about chose tin whistle on forum and other.

Post by neviditsin »

Which whistle more balanced, i mean not too low and not too high? Low F, G, A?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

More balanced?

The 'A' will play similarly to a high whistle, but be lower toned - whilst the low 'G' & 'F' will require learning the pipers grip to play.

If looking for a first 'low' whistle, I'd suggest seriously considering the low F.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Thank you all for your input! I agree that I eventually need to get whistles in every key ( :D ), and much as I'd love to get a low whistle, I need to take baby steps for the sake of sanity (and stick to whistles that fit in my bag...). Especially considering the fact I just got on a two-year waiting list for a set of uilleann pipes as well... argh.

I actually do have my Dad's old Generation Bb from the 70s, but the fipple is falling apart, so I'm keeping it as a museum piece. Good to hear the Bb might be useful for singing as well though.

So yeah, I'll get a Burke Bb on payday. Hup, hooray!
whistlecollector

Krasnojarsk wrote:Thank you all for your input! I agree that I eventually need to get whistles in every key ( :D ), and much as I'd love to get a low whistle, I need to take baby steps for the sake of sanity (and stick to whistles that fit in my bag...). Especially considering the fact I just got on a two-year waiting list for a set of uilleann pipes as well... argh.

I actually do have my Dad's old Generation Bb from the 70s, but the fipple is falling apart, so I'm keeping it as a museum piece. Good to hear the Bb might be useful for singing as well though.

So yeah, I'll get a Burke Bb on payday. Hup, hooray!
Ah!

Might I suggest you simply obtain a nice low whistle pouch or roll? A roll, preferably, so you can fill up the entire low octave!

And please don't neglect the bass or the wee high octaves!

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

whistlecollector wrote: Ah!

Might I suggest you simply obtain a nice low whistle pouch or roll? A roll, preferably, so you can fill up the entire low octave!

That, kind stranger, is called enabling, and is a serious offence. This is the very reason I've never gone near whistle rolls, since they make whistle absences painfully clear.
whistlecollector

Krasnojarsk wrote:
whistlecollector wrote: Ah!

That, kind stranger, is called enabling, and is a serious offence. This is the very reason I've never gone near whistle rolls, since they make whistle absences painfully clear.
Well! Obviously, you can't allow a whistle roll to have empty slots! That's why you need to obtain more whistles!

It's simply mathematics! More whistles : more rolls :: more rolls : more whistles!

And the world is found to be in balance.