CP: Old Clarinet Blackwood to Repurpose for Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: Old Clarinet Blackwood to Repurpose for Flutes

Post by Casey Burns »

I am selling off a portion of my large Clarinet Wood pile, and keeping some 750 pieces for myself for future flute production. What I have left are some 650 pieces of the size below. These were originally intended for LeBlanc clarinets. The Blackwood was harvested in 1979 possibly, and machined to this shape in 1999 (this is the date on the boxes and Clarinet Industry insiders said that 20 years was the usual length of time between harvest and turning to shape). These pieces ended up at Allied Supply and then eventually were sold to American Science and Surplus who sold them in their catalogfor $2.99 each. I am offering them for $3.50 each, plus shipping. US Only due to CITES Regulations!

Contact me by email at caseyburnsflutes@gmail.com. Minimum Quantity is 20 pieces

I've been able to get upper middle joints for my Folk Flutes out of these by cutting off the upper tenon, facing the wood, putting hose clamps around the lower tenon and along the body before reaming, and then turning the outsides. Patrick Olwell said that they machine these into head joints above the barrel joints. The wood is usually fantastic on these though I have found a few with some filled in flaws that one can barely see. Its great wood!

Casey

Casey Burns

Re: CP: Old Clarinet Blackwood to Repurpose for Flutes

Post by Casey Burns »

Update - now have only 450 of these available. Get them while you can!

Casey
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

My original supply bought from AS&S is almost exhausted so I have more on the way from Casey. This is good quality blackwood and a very reasonable price.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Revised - I just went through and inventoried what I have left yesterday. I currently have 550 pieces of the above available for sale. Minimum diameter 29mm, clear length between tenons is 190mm. Bore is 14mm. These are a good size to re-machine into head joints for Rudall and Rose copies, requiring 3 pieces to generate 2 head joints. Note that this wood has been in this current turned shape since 1999. Usually the clarinet makers season the wood in squares for 20 years before any machining, according to a source at Allied Supply. These pieces were apparently harvested sometime around 1979.

I found that I could fit 40 of these into a Large Flat Rate Priority box and mail them anywhere in the US for $20 each insured. I am selling these for $3.50 each. Thus a box of 40 pieces costs $160 postpaid. Note that these are not available outside of the US due to current CITES restrictions.

Grab them while you can!

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Revised - I just went through and inventoried what I have left yesterday. I currently have 550 pieces of the above available for sale. Minimum diameter 29mm, clear length between tenons is 190mm. Bore is 14mm. These are a good size to re-machine into head joints for Rudall and Rose copies, requiring 3 pieces to generate 2 head joints. Note that this wood has been in this current turned shape since 1999. Usually the clarinet makers season the wood in squares for 20 years before any machining, according to a source at Allied Supply. These pieces were apparently harvested sometime around 1979.

I found that I could fit 40 of these into a Large Flat Rate Priority box and mail them anywhere in the US for $20 each insured. I am selling these for $3.50 each. Thus a box of 40 pieces costs $160 postpaid. Note that these are not available outside of the US due to current CITES restrictions.

Grab them while you can!

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I am now sold out of all of this material.

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I discovered a few more boxes and still have 100-150 pieces of this wood still available at $3.50 each plus shipping. Last chance to get some!

Casey