CP - New micro-documentary about Geoffrey Ellis Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Geoffrey Ellis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

CP - New micro-documentary about Geoffrey Ellis Flutes

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I flagged this as a commercial post since it is undoubtedly self-serving to post it here :-) But I'm thrilled to have been the subject of a "micro-documentary" (a short, 3 1/2 minute film) by Blayne Chastain. Many of you know Blayne already as the owner of the Irish Flute Store as well as the co-director of the wonderful Patrick Olwell documentary "The Keymaster".

Blayne visited my shop and filmed me making one of my Essential Flutes, and then he used the very same flute to compose and record a beautiful soundtrack to the film.

I welcome you all to view it here:

https://vimeo.com/321618537
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: CP - New micro-documentary about Geoffrey Ellis Flutes

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Very cool video! I saw it on facebook a few days ago. Very well shot and edited and the flute sounds great. I think it's a great advertisement for what you do!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Lovely! Nicely done indeed and it's great to see the process

I'm saving up!
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Glad you like it! Blayne is an insanely talented guy with a very broad base of skills, and it was a pleasure to watch him work. Just watching him edit the footage was jaw-dropping--such speed and efficiency, coupled with a well-honed sense of story telling. Made my part very easy :-)
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

WOw, very cool.
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Really enjoyed this! Keep living the dream for all of us Geoff!
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Thanks for watching and for the nice comments!
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

that was beautiful ! thanks for sharing it with us !
paddler

Post by paddler »

That was absolutely beautiful! What a lovely, intimate glimpse into your life and work! Fabulous job, both of you!

Am I right in assuming that the "Essential Flute" you are making in the film, and that Blayne is playing for the background music, is in the key of C? It sounds great!
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

paddler wrote:That was absolutely beautiful! What a lovely, intimate glimpse into your life and work! Fabulous job, both of you!

Am I right in assuming that the "Essential Flute" you are making in the film, and that Blayne is playing for the background music, is in the key of C? It sounds great!
Many thanks! Yes, the Essential Flute that you see being made is in the key of C, and Blayne used it for the score. He's a great player :-)