UK Contents Insurance

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KevinNot10
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

UK Contents Insurance

Post by KevinNot10 »

I am in the process of renewing my home contents insurance and one of the requirements is that I have a current valuation (within the past 3 years) for my pipes. I have not been in the UK long, and am wondering how do others approach this? The pipes were made by David Quinn in the 1980s and I am the second owner, so the paper trail is a bit of a challenge.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Kevin
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: UK Contents Insurance

Post by PJ »

Hmm. Not easy. There are few, if any, sales of DQ pipes these days.

The best I could suggest would be to ask the maker for a letter stating what the replacement cost would be for a similar set today. I know that this doesn't take into account the wait time or rarity.
PJ
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

I just have a separate instruments policy through my contents insurer - that covers them outside the home too and didn't cost much extra. The concept of uilleann pipes needed a bit of explaining but they seemed happy enough to accept my estimate of the cost of replacement.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm not a piper, but, for my fiddles, I got an opinion from a luthier and, for my flutes, I got an opinion from a well-known, local fluthier :wink: .
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll send a message to DQ to see if he has a standard thing he does for people, and otherwise see if any of the UK "pluthiers" I know have provided anything to anyone previously.
Kevin