Maid of Mt Kisco tune structure

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Maid of Mt Kisco tune structure

Post by buskerSean »

Just learning the Maid of Mt Kisco and I had to check a few versions as the structure of 8 bars repeat, 4 bars repeat, 8 bars repeat is one Inhaven’t seen before. Any other tunes have this perculiar setting?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Maid of Mt Kisco tune structure

Post by colomon »

There are a fair number of tunes that mix 8 bar repeat and 4 bar repeat parts, and they were more common in the old days -- a lot of people today tend to double the shorter parts of many of these tunes so they are "normal".

"Maid of Mt Kisco" is the only one I know of with that particular pattern, though! And one of the few where I've never heard anyone double the short part to make it a normal length.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It could be worth to check the original version, Paddy Killoran's 1937 recording of Maid of Mt Kisko/Hunter's purse to see how he tackled it. He composed it. I have it sort of handy, will have a look later.

The simple answer probably is that making the second part into 16 bars would be too repetitive.
My brain hurts

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Just checked From Ballymote to Brooklyn, and I can confirm Killoran played it with the standard short middle section in that recording. (Web search suggests there might have been another Killoran recording of the tune I don't have access to.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

https://open.spotify.com/track/3oEdSv5u ... Q6jYdeuIWA On the 3rd time round Paddy misses the 2nd part out entirely! I notice he often does this, Coppers and Brass on an older album he play a part (I think) 3 times. Is this on purpose to copyright an arrangement?