Chieftain v5

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Chieftain v5

Post by The apostol »

Hi all,

been playing high d for 10 months now. Now just got my first low d, Chieftain v5. I would like to hear what are your thoughts about this whistle if u have experience with it. I would appreciate some input how it stacks (tone, volume, playability etc) with other low d's of this price range (under 150 €)

Thanks!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Chieftain v5

Post by fatmac »

One of the better ones is my understanding, I have a Howard, which suits me well, enjoy. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
The apostol
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Post by The apostol »

Thanks, actually I meant how it plays in your opinion. I didnt mean to compare it, just to hear opinions from More experienced..
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Its just so difficult to get proper sound from it.. Lets see if I have to give up, very frustrating. ;( just kiddin..
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Just needs practicing.......you'll get there......it took me a little while to be able to cover the holes on a low D. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've played a lot of low D whistles, and I like the Chieftains for their breathy, round sound. The MK low D is like a more robust Chieftain in many respects, with a slightly louder, more defined, velvety sound. I play the MK in sessions (though the Chieftain works too), but a Chieftain can be better for playing in softer environments. Their breath requirements are similar, while the older V3 empties your lungs faster, but with a slightly fuller, more open sound. Another person said they found the V5 easier to play than the V3, and I think that might be true. Possibly the extra backpressure in the V5 helps with controlling the whistle. You've got a great instrument that's certainly not going to hold you back as you learn. Your biggest challenge, when starting, is probably going to be properly covering the holes as you play. The Chieftain has some large holes (especially the second from the bottom), but keep practicing and your fingers will begin to lock into the proper positioning.
Nathaniel James Dowell
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Thanks guys! And thanks " beaver" for your youtube whistle comparisons, they were one reference point when I was searching information.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes thanks AB for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ICVETOT98

which I hadn't seen.

It's cool because I've not played either of those Chieftains, though I've spent many hours playing MKs and Goldies, so at least I have a frame of reference.

What about the 2nd octave tuning of the Chieftains? I tried a Kerry Optima and the 2nd octave was so sharp that the whistle was practically unplayable.

So the V5 has more backpressure? I would guess that this would increase efficiency.

What about Bottom D power of the Chieftains versus the Goldie? My Goldie has a nice solid Bottom D, but it's not the uber-booming Bottom D of the Burke or the Susato.

When I made some Low D comparison videos I found that they sounded much more alike in the videos than they did in person. Did you find that too? In particular the unique tone of the MK didn't come through on my videos, a strong core surrounded by dirt. E in the 2nd octave was particularly special in tone.

Apostol, don't give up! It's probably just a matter of getting the special Low D finger position, the "grip". Just don't get into any bad habits like trying to use greater force to seal the holes, it's a matter of placement, not force, and the hands should stay relaxed.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I'd say the Chieftain has a softer bottom D compared to a Goldie. I'm not sure about the tuning. They seem good to me, but I feel like my V3 needs to be blown harder in the second octave to play along with a track in tune, while the V5 needs a softer touch, but I'm not the best at evaluating the tuning. And yes, the subtle differences in tone don't come through in the video.
Nathaniel James Dowell
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't have Perfect Pitch or anything, and when I'm just playing a whistle by myself I'll think the tuning is good enough.

But then when playing with others, or checking against an electronic tuner, I'll find out that (for example) the 2nd octave is much flatter than I thought.

I've learned to trust electronic tuners. If they say my whistle is bang on, sure enough when I play it with others it's good.

I check two whistles against each other by playing them at the same time, fingering (for example) G on both, playing G in the low octave, and adjust the whistles as needed so that the two low octave G's are exactly in tune with each other.

Then I overblow G into the second octave. The point at which they kick up to the 2nd octave tells me which whistle has the stiffer 2nd octave, and the relative pitch between the two tells me which whistle has the flatter 2nd octave.

I really need to try at least one Chieftain.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Covering the holes on a low D can take some adapting to, whether or not you're coming from playing higher (smaller) whistles. Oftentimes, a beginner player is putting in so much effort to cover the holes so they seal property, the fingers and hands tense up too much, creating even more difficulties. Relaxing and allowing the natural contour of your fingers to cover the holes will help, starting from the top note (B) on down to the bottom D. You might also check out these tutorials if you haven't yet:
https://kerrywhistles.com/tutorials/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEOx4IJyO_8

FWIW, some beginner players will start with a low G or F to get used to the piper's hold before moving on to the low D, but that may not be for everyone. I'd say stay with it, and work on relaxing to cover the holes.
The apostol

Post by The apostol »

Thanks guys! Im getting used to it.. 2 concerns only, is the tuning of fixed chieftains supposed to be spot on? My playin isnt, espescially first g and b. Maybe just my playing.. And the whistle seems to be clogging quite much. Anyone has the same problem?

Thanks
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

The apostol wrote:Thanks guys! Im getting used to it.. 2 concerns only, is the tuning of fixed chieftains supposed to be spot on? My playin isnt, espescially first g and b. Maybe just my playing.. And the whistle seems to be clogging quite much. Anyone has the same problem?

Thanks

I've had some issues with moisture affecting the sound of the instrument, but usually it's when it's cold. Be sure to warm it up. For whistles that seem to clog a lot, I'll periodically coat the windways with a solution of dish soap and water, gently blow them out, and let them dry. It helps the water not bead up. I can't speak for the tuning. Mine plays along with tunes just fine. Are you playing and hearing a problem, or are you looking at a tuner and seeing an issue?
Nathaniel James Dowell
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

IMHO the V5 is excellent. Very sweet and easy second octave. Mine never clogs. Maybe it needs to be blown slightly harder. I had this issue with my Killarney. It was constantly clogging until I noticed I simply need to use more air. One tip is to first warm it up by covering the tone hole and blowing into it a few seconds.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Apostal.... low D is a bear when you are starting, and I thought I would never get it. Ever. But it does come. For me, getting comfortable with a Bb or lower if you have one was an important step on the way. And, as the others have said, covering the holes is the most important thing., and piper's grip is important there. Personally, I wouldn't worry abut the tuning until you are way more comfortable playing it. Too many other other things going on.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia