EASTAR or GLORY Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

EASTAR or GLORY Flutes?

Post by MichaelRS »

Has anybody had any first-hand experience who are these inexpensive starter flutes?

Okay, LOL, you don't have to yell at me. I've been doing some research and I know the arguments against them.

But the reason I'm considering them is that the greater percentage of the Amazon reviews (however real and honest they actually are) rate them at a 4 or 5 stars and "good enough" to bust your concert flute cherry on for the first few months, without having to spend several hundred dollars on a student model of a Gemeinhardt or a Pearl or a Yamaha OR several months of rental fees... as the Glory or the Easter might actually be okay and able to last a little longer than a few months.
So basically I'm just expecting a "serviceable" life out of them for a few months.

Therefore I would like to hear from anybody who's had any real world experience with them and what they have to say about them.
I would trust the people on here more than I would Amazon reviews or reviews from the various instrument review sites because those reviews may be sponsored for them to say something is good enough when it's really not.
On YouTube's Thr Flute Channel the professional flutist there gave the Eastar a thumbs-up for what it is, key phrase there, "for what it is", but then again she's a professional and knows how to manipulate a flute to get the best out of it.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: EASTAR or GLORY Flutes?

Post by Andro »

Hi @MichaelRS,

Nothing wrong with your question but C&F is primarily focused around wooden simple system flutes and tin whistles for Irish Traditional Music and the like. Not really the best forum to ask about cheap Boehm flutes. There are flute groups on facebook that may be of assistance to you.

If you believe Amazon reviews of rubbish flutes then there's this bridge in Brooklym you may be interested in.

More seriously, the problem with the cheap beginner flutes is that, apart from the fact they are poorly made, is that the embouchure is cut differently to a proper concert flute so children can get a sound out of them and seem to progress. But the cut of these holes wreck your embouchure, and it's really better to get a good intermediate student flute so you can develop the right embouchure and aperture from the start.

But if you must go this way, you can get attractively coloured flutes from Aliexpress and so on for next to nothing, and they are popular with school bands. They are all made in one or two factories and sellers print their brand on them. I got one of the black ones with silver keys. After I fixed it up a bit - oiled the mechanism, and polished the internal bore with metal polish to make it smooth, I have to say it plays quite well and can actually make a halfway honky Irish sort of dark sound, because it's nowhere near a silver Boehm concert flute.

[I just looked - the Eastar flutes are the same cost as the coloured cheapies. I'd expect the performance to be about the same.]
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Thanks very much. Some good some good information there, particular about the embouchure.
I may just have to bite the bullet and rent a Yamaha.
Thanks
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Why not look for a pre used student flute, my Gemeinhardt is quite decent, & many recommend Yamaha or Pearl.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The main (& general) complaint about the cheap (probably Chinese-made) flutes (as expressed by flute teachers on the Boehm lists) is that the metal used for the keys is soft & too easily distorted/bent out of adjustment. Since the "grip of death" is often a common mistake in early learning, it seems to me an unwise decision. Additional complaints have been poor tonehole finishing, thus poor sealing of (also cheap) pads. Some other "gotchas" may not surface until later in the life of the flute, which might not concern you (loss of plating, for instance). Admittedly, quality of Chinese-made instruments is improving overall, mostly at the higher-end. I have a Guild 12-string guitar from their Westerly Collection (Made in China line) that was an incredibly satisfying bargain, and manufacturers like Eastman make guitars I'd easily choose to own. Good value & quality fit & finish are possible.
Last edited by kkrell on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Yes, my further research has yielded much the same information as the response is here. Therefore I'm off to the pawn shops the try my hand at locating a better made second hand flute. I don't know a hell of a lot what I'm doing there, but I figure I have a much better chance than buying something sight unseen off of eBay. And to prepare I've watched several YouTube videos on how to pick a good used flute.
Thanks all
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I think pawn shops or similar will be a waste of time. First off, you'll find most of them stocked with the crappy flutes anyway, or abandoned student flutes requiring more work than you can afford to put in them. My suggestion is to either find something from an actual instrument repair shop that's been serviced, or as in your OP, go for a few months rental from a music shop (maybe with lessons). I think you'd save money, make your decision whether to advance to better instruments, and then can commit to something of at least hobbyist quality, not a lamp.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

kkrell wrote:I think pawn shops or similar will be a waste of time. First off, you'll find most of them stocked with the crappy flutes anyway, or abandoned student flutes requiring more work than you can afford to put in them. My suggestion is to either find something from an actual instrument repair shop that's been serviced, or as in your OP, go for a few months rental from a music shop (maybe with lessons). I think you'd save money, make your decision whether to advance to better instruments, and then can commit to something of at least hobbyist quality, not a lamp.
Obviously great minds think alike. After searching some pawn shops and seeing some sketchy looking flutes, which might have been just fine oh, but that's the point, I really didn't trust myself one way or the other to decide.

If I had a "flute friend" that I could tote around with me and have them test the flute on the spot, a pawn shop might be the way to go. But I don't.

So this week I'm starting with repair shops and otherwise looking for legitimate used flutes sellers online. I think I found one of those called Gina's flutes out of Colorado.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I got a cheapie Gemeinhardt student flute in the 70s or 80s as a step up from my 1960s Bundy. I played it off and on for 20 years. When I switched to simple system flutes. It got stuck in a closet for a couple of decades, then I gave it to a school program. It had a couple of overhauls over the years, but dollar for dollar prorated over decades it was quite a bargain compared to a flute which will only live a year. I'd try to find a good used instrument. Lots of parents buy flutes just about the time their kid decides to abandon ship. If you have a band at your local school they may be aware of some decent places to look for a used flute.

If you are wanting to buy online you could contact Woodwind and Brasswind and ask them if they have any blemished or returned flutes they could sell at a discount, Occasionally they do.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

@Busterbill: thank you. I will check out your lead
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Hi,

If you haven't made a decision yet I'd suggest you check out Gina's Flutes. She has tons of used flutes for sale and will give you a 7 day trial. In fact she'll send two or three flutes for you to compare. You simply send back the one's you don't want.

Great lady to deal with, and she always seems to have plenty of stock in all price ranges. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe

PS I should also point out that I've never seen any "junk" flutes in her listings!
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

piperjoe wrote:Hi,

If you haven't made a decision yet I'd suggest you check out Gina's Flutes. She has tons of used flutes for sale and will give you a 7 day trial. In fact she'll send two or three flutes for you to compare. You simply send back the one's you don't want.

Great lady to deal with, and she always seems to have plenty of stock in all price ranges. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe

PS I should also point out that I've never seen any "junk" flutes in her listings!

Thanks, Joe, it just so happens I ordered a Pearl 500 from Gina, which USPS tracking tells me is at my post office even now.
So, obviouly, I'm no longer looking.
Thanks to everyone.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

MichaelRS wrote:
piperjoe wrote:Hi,

Piper Joe

Thanks, Joe, it just so happens I ordered a Pearl 500 from Gina, which USPS tracking tells me is at my post office even now.
So, obviouly, I'm no longer looking.
Thanks to everyone.
Enjoy the new flute. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe