Absolute least expensive passable backup flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Yan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm new to Irish flute - I've been reading forum threads on flute makers, hand position, etc. And I'm checking the used instruments religiously. I'm very grateful for this resource!

Absolute least expensive passable backup flute

Post by Yan »

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to buy a backup/travel flute that I can practice with on the run and let me kids fiddle with, too. My only criteria, really, is for the flute to be in tune with itself. What would you recommend? Does anyone have an old PVC or polymer flute they'd be willing to part with?
Thanks!
Yan
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Absolute least expensive passable backup flute

Post by fatmac »

My first keyless flute was a Tony Dixon ABS one piece, not sure if you would say it is 'in tune with itself', but it sounds OK to me.

I keep it on hand for quick practice, as I can just pick it up & play.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Yan
Tell us something.: I'm new to Irish flute - I've been reading forum threads on flute makers, hand position, etc. And I'm checking the used instruments religiously. I'm very grateful for this resource!

Post by Yan »

Thanks fatmac. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I've got a beautiful flute from Casey and hope to save up, eventually, for a proper keyless delrin down the road, but I'm not there yet. The Dixon one-piece sounds like a good option for now.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Yan
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

In terms of playability and, as far as I can see, indestructability, combined with an amazingly low price, I think you'd be hard pushed to beat Hammy Hamilton's practice flutes.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Is Hamilton still making flutes? HIs website says "my order book has been closed since May 2018"
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:Is Hamilton still making flutes? HIs website says "my order book has been closed since May 2018"
Ah. That's a shame. In which case, try eBay.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

PB+J wrote:Is Hamilton still making flutes? HIs website says "my order book has been closed since May 2018"
Might be worth checking directly with him. Something that is a stock item may still be in stock...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Doug tipple makes a pretty good flute. They're made from PVC so care is minimal, and they're a good price.

http://tippleflutes.com/
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Also, Gary Somers has a delrin head/metal body instrument for $145 that has had positive comments—if you can't locate a Hamilton practice flute.

Best wishes.

Steve
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

I'm with Wanderer. The Tipple is the lowest priced new pvc flute. It's always absolutely in tune, has the lowest honking low D of my 13 flutes, is loud or soft and beautifully finished. Goes anywhere, does anything flute-like. No maintenance but for the occasional swab out. I suspect most people who started with a Tipple still play it, keep it put together ready to go however many flutes they've sold, traded or kept since. My Tipple fits in well with my accumulation of Olwell, Ormiston, M&E, Shannon and sundry wooden and aluminum flutes.

Best wishes,

K.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Ask Hammy on that very post he said that practice flutes are still avaiable.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As Radcliff says, Hammy's web site (scroll down) says that "Practice flutes are not affected" by the closure of his list.

Best wishes.

Steve
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I have a Hamilton practice flute to sell (keeping one). However, I did not suggest it because the OP wanted his kids to be able to fiddle with it, too. Unless, they're pretty big, I'd recommend against it. The flute needs some reach. Also, thought it might have exceeded his "least expensive" request, since I think there are other, cheaper alternatives. Great embouchure cut, though - sounds like a Hammy.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Tipple.
Hi4head
Tell us something.: Just recently I’ve begun playing a transverse flute. I’m wanting to learn more about simple system flutes and playing.

Post by Hi4head »

Another option that I have not seen mentioned yet is to go with one or more inexpensive bamboo flutes ($25-$60). I know that George Tortorelli makes them in different keys; one of the smaller ones might be good for the kids. No, not as durable as pvc, but some bamboo is pretty tough. I've traveled quite a bit with some of my bamboo flutes, gone hiking, etc. and they have been no worse for the wear.
If interested George's site is Medicine Wind flutes. http://www.medicinewind.com/MedWind/HOME.html

Chris