Uilleann pipes case question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
hstokes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've started Irish music classes with Benedict and Hilary Farrington Koehler, and now I have the uilleann pipe bug. This is going to get expensive.

Re: Uilleann pipes case question

Post by hstokes »

Main Stage Cases made this for me:
http://www.mainstagecases.com

shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

I don't mean to beat this one in the ground but if some generous protec viola case owner could tell me the total internal depth of the case including the lid (maybe in the deepest point along the center, as well as the shallowest point along the edge, pretty please,) I would greatly appreciate it. I see the total outside depth is 8," but the only measurement I've found for internal depth is 4.5", which seems like a lot of space went somewhere. Of course if this is due to foam taking up volume I would be ok with removing some to achieve a greater depth. The reason I ask is because my bellows doesn't want to collapse much beyond 6" on the back side, making many cases too shallow. I've asked on retail websites but have gotten no answer so far. Just trying to avoid a $20 return shipping fee if possible. Speaking of which, I tried out the protec soprano sax case, but it was quite a bit too tight a fit for my liking, and plus would probably not accommodate the A drone I eventually want to get installed (and plus has no great bellows accommodation.) Thanks to anyone willing to do me a favor. Cheers.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The discrepancy in the depth is in the fact that the top is arched. Internal depth/height is about 4,5-5”.
My bellows fits and it’s about 6” deep, so maybe the case really 5-6” deep.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Just in case anyone missed this in the Tonarelli case thread, I’ve recently fitted up one of those fiddle cases as my biggest, take everything to a gig if necessary, case. It is good in that it can actually hold several sets of pipes (3/4 concert and 5/8ths flat set with flat set bass reg top and drone bottom removed, or 3/4, border and scottish smallpipes sets with bass drone toos removed) and, as it’s a fairly standard fiddle case, doesn’t seem to trigger airlines or security unduly. It was also relatively straightforward to retrofit for pipes (even to drilling it for restraining straps). It also comes with quitecomfortable handles and very nice backpack straps. However, it offers no insulation against thermal shock unless you include that in your retrofitting and no useful padding, I used wool felt of various thicknesses to try to address both of these. And it is really quite heavy (which the felt didn’t help—if you intend to carry it about all the time, you might seek something lighter, or spring for the composite version. Pics to follow. Feel free to give me a shout if you’ve got any questions.

ImageTonarelli Case refitted for pipes by bepoq

ImageTonarelli Case refitted for pipes by bepoq[/quote]
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

bepoq wrote:Just in case anyone missed this in the Tonarelli case thread, I’ve recently fitted up one of those fiddle cases as my biggest, take everything to a gig if necessary, case. It is good in that it can actually hold several sets of pipes (3/4 concert and 5/8ths flat set with flat set bass reg top and drone bottom removed, or 3/4, border and scottish smallpipes sets with bass drone toos removed) and, as it’s a fairly standard fiddle case, doesn’t seem to trigger airlines or security unduly. It was also relatively straightforward to retrofit for pipes (even to drilling it for restraining straps). It also comes with quitecomfortable handles and very nice backpack straps. However, it offers no insulation against thermal shock unless you include that in your retrofitting and no useful padding, I used wool felt of various thicknesses to try to address both of these. And it is really quite heavy (which the felt didn’t help—if you intend to carry it about all the time, you might seek something lighter, or spring for the composite version. Pics to follow. Feel free to give me a shout if you’ve got any questions.
You're the Houdini of pipes transport, fitting more pipe in less vessel. Thanks guys.