Whistle with Uilleann Pipe fingering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Icturret
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and have done for 13 years. Based in SW England, learnt in Manchester NWUP. Lack of irish musicians and exacting pipers down here, so Im hing chiff and fipple a go.

Whistle with Uilleann Pipe fingering

Post by Icturret »

Hi,

I'm an Uilleann piper and am looking for a tin whistle with piping finger (the 4th finger hole on the lower hand I'm not so worried about), which I'm told exist. Thought I'd have better luck here than the whistle forum.

Does anyone know who might make these? Any links would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Icturret
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Re: Whistle with Uilleann Pipe fingering

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Are you looking for a 7-holed whistle? Your wording isn't particularly clear on whether you're asking for a top hand thumb hole or a lower hand pinky hole.

The 7th bottom hand pinky hole on those fairly uncommon whistles is normally for an extra C note below bottom D. The back thumb hole is (from what I've been told) related to the C natural note rather than the "Back D".

You'd be much better off just sticking to your everyday 6-holed whistle in my opinion, but I know that Burke makes whistles with the thumb hole.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Piping fingering also implies closed fingering: only one or two finger holes are open for any note, the rest are closed. I think getting a whistle even close to in tune and physically playable with that fingering would be next to impossible.
Icturret
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and have done for 13 years. Based in SW England, learnt in Manchester NWUP. Lack of irish musicians and exacting pipers down here, so Im hing chiff and fipple a go.

Post by Icturret »

[/quote]Burke makes whistles with the thumb hole.[/quote]

Thanks. Its the thumb hole I am really after.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks. Its the thumb hole I am really after.
Then do take note, as TR above already mentioned, the whistle will have a C natural sitting under your thumb so it will be a completely different thing from what you get from your chanter.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Icturret wrote:Thanks. Its the thumb hole I am really after.
Musique Morneaux makes the whistle.
http://musiquemorneaux.com/whistlesflageolets/
Icturret

Post by Icturret »

I must have bern misinformed that whistles existed with D thumb holes. Nevermind. Thanks for your help.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Many years ago I was in Maine, Bar Harbour I think. And there was a shop selling an Uilleann fingering whistle made out of a susato Bb I think and it had a tube running up to the mouth. It had a (back d) and was closed off at the leg.
I tried it but wasn’t inspired to buy one. It may have worked somewhat.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

dunnp wrote:Many years ago I was in Maine, Bar Harbour I think. And there was a shop selling an Uilleann fingering whistle made out of a susato Bb I think and it had a tube running up to the mouth. It had a (back d) and was closed off at the leg.
I tried it but wasn’t inspired to buy one. It may have worked somewhat.
That would have been Song of the Sea in Bar Harbor. I believe they've been out of business for several years, but back in the day they did advertise something like you describe. Never heard of anyone who owned one, however.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Apparently Song of the Sea's "Uilleann Whistle Chanter" had a drone available as well.
Here's a blast from the past from the Internet Archive, including an illustration of somebody playing it: Link
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I’ll confess I’m completely mystified by Uilleann Pipe fingering. Why CAN’T you make a whistle with the same fingering?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Here's a partial answer. Part of the fingerings for uilleann chanters involve stopping the chanter on the knee. Try that with most fipple style instruments. Granted you can play many notes, and on some chanters, all the notes 'off the knee', but often only with alternate fingerings to get anywhere near good intonation.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There have been heated discussion about the use of mouthblown practice chanters and whistles in the past. Truth is, there's no real alternative for the real thing that will enable you to -learn the basics of good piping.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

an seanduine wrote:Here's a partial answer. Part of the fingerings for uilleann chanters involve stopping the chanter on the knee. Try that with most fipple style instruments. Granted you can play many notes, and on some chanters, all the notes 'off the knee', but often only with alternate fingerings to get anywhere near good intonation.

Bob
Right but I'm not understanding why. You have a tube with holes in it, or a conical bore tube with holes in it. I'm not understanding the physical differences here. The flute and the whistle are the same. A recorder has more holes for more notes, but has to labor under the same principles of physics under which all windy musical tubes labor.

I'm not arguing here, just not understanding, and speaking for complete inexperience
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Tunborough also makes a good point above about closed fingerings.