Which is Wood and which is Silver?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Which is Wood and which is Silver?

Post by Akiba »

piperjoe wrote:I'd lean towards the wood head joint as well...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound on the SS one either.

Do you have a B or C foot on the Di Zhao?

Piper Joe
C foot. Started with the B foot, but found it too hard to play low C which I do regularly and never use the B note. Also wanted to make flute less heavy.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Akiba wrote:
piperjoe wrote:I'd lean towards the wood head joint as well...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound on the SS one either.

Do you have a B or C foot on the Di Zhao?

Piper Joe
C foot. Started with the B foot, but found it too hard to play low C which I do regularly and never use the B note. Also wanted to make flute less heavy.
The C foot seems to help with the hard low D as well. My current Gemeinhardt, which I've had forever, has a C foot, the one I just ordered has a B foot. I'm hopeful it'll work out OK.

JD
popsnorkle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by popsnorkle »

hans wrote:I prefer #2 over #1 slightly. ...
To me #2 has a little more brilliance, slightly more pronounced higher frequencies.
It sounds a little brighter, and for me more present, probably because of that.
Now which is silver, which wood?
From the common prejudice I would say the brighter one is silver, i.e. #2.!
I listened to both clips several times before reading the rest of the thread. I ran it through my stereo amplifier and speakers. I listened to #1 and thought it was great and then played #2 and liked it better.

I agree the differences are small, but I would have described them almost opposite of the first description. I found the higher notes in #1 were more on the harsh, shrill side, I would guess more of a clear tone. I would have called #1 more brilliant and brighter and its the sound I never liked from the silver flute back to when I started playing it in 4th grade. #2 seemed to me to have a more mellow sound.

I guessed that #1 was silver and #2 wood.