Thoughts on purchasing a Bb whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which Bb whistle to choose?

Susato Oriole Bb
8%
Tony Dixon Alto Trad Brass Bb
15%
Generation Bb
54%
Other (please state)
23%

Total votes: 26

pbff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle newbie - started learning in 2018.
Owner of just three whistles at the moment, a Clarke Sweetone D, a Clarke Special Edition '200' D and a Generation Bb, but I am sure there will soon be others to join them ;-)
Joined the forum for advice and tips on improving my playing.

Thoughts on purchasing a Bb whistle

Post by pbff »

Hi all,

I have been playing my Clarke Sweetone D whistle for a few months now and am steadily improving my playing.

I keep being drawn towards the sound of Bb whistles however - I realise now that whistles prove to be quite addictive! :D

What I can't yet decide is which Bb whistle to choose :-?

I have looked at the Generation ones and read that they can be rather variable and that you may have to work your way through ten or so until you find one that is good.

I have also looked at the Susato Oriole Bb and the Tony Dixon Alto Trad Brass Bb.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these or any others?

Thanks in advance :)
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Thoughts on purchasing a Bb whistle

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Since this is your first Bb, a Generation may suit you well. Many members on this forum favor the Generation Bb, including those who have more expensive models. Odds are you will end up collecting a lot of whistles, and like many others, come to the conclusion that the Generation Bb was a real gem. Check out YouTube clips for the Bb of various models. Of course, you have to decide based on your preferences, but at about $16.00 (US) the Generation Bb is a safe bet.
ceilidhdog

Post by ceilidhdog »

I have a Freeman-tweaked Generation Bb that I like a lot. As a relative newbie, I find it's easy to play and, to my ears, very much in tune.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have 2 Gen Bb whistles, brass, & nickel, they both sound the same, which isn't really a surprise, as the nickel is just a plating on the brass.

I bought myself a couple of Brass Trads (alto A & low G) after the Gens that I had collected, so I'd say if you want to spend the money, go with the Trad, but the Gens are OK.

(I have no experience of Susato.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

If you're not ready for something like the Reyburn A/Bb set (two bodies w/one head) then you really can't go wrong with the Freeman tweaked Bb. Reasonable price for a very nice playing whistle and a huge improvement as compared to the over the counter Generations. I have several high end whistles and several Freeman tweaked Generation and Feadog whistles. Hard pressed to see a big difference. It's there, just kinda subtle.

Freeman does a great job and his tweaked whistles play better in tune and are more responsive than the stock version(s). You may never need anything better. A real gentleman to deal with too. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I only play for my own benefit, and have played a few weddings, church services, etc. I've owned a few Bb whistles over the years by Generation, Bleazey, O'Riordan and a few others. I have an O'Riordan A that fits perfectly with a Generation Bb body, and it's the best. That's an exception and I think the Generation would be my choice otherwise.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I voted "other" because the best Bb I've ever owned is a Freeman Generation Bb.

Yes I could have voted "Generation" but that might be taken as meaning an off-the-shelf Generation.

I have several of those but none play as good as the Jerry Freeman one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

rhulsey wrote: I have an O'Riordan A that fits perfectly with a Generation Bb body, and it's the best.
I play sort of the opposite thing, a (Freeman) Generation Bb head on a home-made "A" body.

At left.

L-R A, Bb, B natural, C, C sharp, D, E flat, F.

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Tough call. I have a pre-80 brass Gen Bb, a newer Nickel Gen Bb, a Susato Kildare Bb and a Parks Walkabout Bb. Love all of them. Each is different and has its own place.

Get a Gen now... Then a Kildare (step up from Oriole, (I think), then a Dixon.... And so on.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The tweaked generation will be nice if you are on a budget. I do not know about the air requirements of the Tony Dixon brass whistles, but I had a plastic Tony Dixon a few years ago and really thought it was an air hog. I have played many whistles in many keys down to D so playing an Alto whistle was not the issue. That being said, I gave it to a friend who is playing it happily.

My Bbs are a Tweaked Generation and later a Sindt. But I wonder if any other folks out there in Fippledom have ideas on the new makers.

I have a Carbony F, but their Bb may be out of your price range.

Check the Irish Flute Store for used whistles too. And ask them questions about any whistles they have. They are very helpful.
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

Dear pbff,

I too share your enjoyment of Bb whistles. They occupy a sweet spot between higher and lower whistles. Not shrill, but still with great carrying power. Rich, solid tone ... but nimble enough for a variety of musical genres.

I use a McManus blackwood wide bore and a standard bore in Bb (plus another wide bore in mopane and standard bore in newtonia, as backups). I play them professionally, so didn't mind the outlay. Once you have instruments of that calibre (excuse the pun), you know that you will never need to upgrade.

Nice to know that you're not being limited by the shortcomings of your instrument. But it all depends on what your present and future musical needs are.

Good luck,

Sean.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

busterbill wrote:The tweaked generation will be nice if you are on a budget.
This appears to imply that one can pay a higher price and get a better Bb whistle than a Generation.

Personally I haven't found this to be the case.

Yes I've owned and/or tried the makes you mention, and many others besides, some in the $200-$600 range, but my Freeman Generation outplayed all of them (at least for my style of playing and the musical attributes I'm looking for).

I haven't played a MacManus, and would love to try one. I'm always on the lookout for things I've not tried.

I have played numerous expensive wooden whistles from some big-name makers and not cared for any of them.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I tried a ton of Bb whistles and found them all pretty solid, but I wanted a really strong low end and the only Bb that got me that was a Doug Tipple Bb Fife. It's a gem.

Eric
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:This appears to imply that one can pay a higher price and get a better Bb whistle than a Generation.
Of the four Bbs I've still got, I'd put my Bracker first, Susato Oriole next, and Generation and Freeman Generation equal third. I find the Freeman Generation to improve on the stock model in some ways but not in others, prefer the Oriole (possibly just my particular Oriole, who knows?) to either overall, but only really play the Bracker. So, yes, you can get a better whistle, or at least I can, for me, and no way would I trade for my Bracker for a Generation (not even the older model I used to have, which from memory I liked better than either of the ones I have now). You equally might not like my Bracker, but that's fine because it's not on offer. And it in turn is by no means the most expensive Bb you can buy, but that's fine too because I've neither need nor desire to pay more when this one gives me what I want.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

We have four Bbs in this house; one Sindt, two nickel Gens, and a brass Gen, that one is the newest at around 4 years old or so. I like the Sindt best, one of the nickel ones is a bit better than the other, and I quite like the brass one. Really, all three are pretty consistent and they all get played. Home tweaked. The brass one is $10 CDN at the local store. Hard to go wrong. Some folks figure the Bb is the best whistle in the Gen lineup.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia