Interesting Rudall on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Interesting Rudall on eBay

Post by paddler »

I just noticed this Rudall & Rose flute for sale on eBay. It has an unusual barrel design, and a Bb foot.
Its not mine, unfortunately. I'm just bringing it to your attention.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Interesting Rudall on eBay

Post by Loren »

Very cool.

That foot looks heavy.....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Would the shortened barrel help improve the balance?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote:Would the shortened barrel help improve the balance?
Sad to say I’ve never played one of those beasties, so I couldn’t say. Your guess is as good as mine.
paddler

Post by paddler »

I wonder if the barrel design is that way to accommodate the placement of that keyed hole that is closest to the head.
Or at least to allow space for the makers mark and that keyed hole. It looks like it would be a tight fit with a conventional
barrel. Anyone know what that key is for?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

paddler wrote:I wonder if the barrel design is that way to accommodate the placement of that keyed hole that is closest to the head.
Yeah, I looked again and realized that that was probably the reason for it.
paddler wrote:Anyone know what that key is for?
Not in the slightest. Would that be a trill key? If so, it's the first I've ever seen on simple-system.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Not in the slightest. Would that be a trill key? If so, it's the first I've ever seen on simple-system. Nanohedron
Yes it's a high D-E trill key. All the known R&R flutes with this key have the reverse barrel with male tenon (Ref: Jem Hammond on the facebook Flute history channel February 18th, 2019)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:
Not in the slightest. Would that be a trill key? If so, it's the first I've ever seen on simple-system. Nanohedron
Yes it's a high D-E trill key. All the known R&R flutes with this key have the reverse barrel with male tenon (Ref: Jem Hammond on the facebook Flute history channel February 18th, 2019)
Since everyone here might not wish to join the Facebook Group (if you do, then request at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flute.History.Channel/ ) , I summarize with this:
Kevin Krell wrote:I found reference in an old Rudall Rose list (digest #5) where David Migoya wrote:

"The male-tenon phenomena appears to fall into the 2600-3000 series of flutes, and likely is a design concept to accommodate the high-E key hole that requires the extra shoulder length."

& in a later post "The male-barrel (tenon rather than socket) seems to be a feature we see on the flutes with the high-E key. Likely (?) because of the extra wood needed that high, so the barrel is "shortened" to compensate. How to do that without breaking it? Make it work the opposite direction (a dandy idea first used by Monzani..."
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, Steampacket and Kevin.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I found reference in an old Rudall Rose list (digest #5) where David Migoya wrote: "The male-tenon phenomena appears to fall into the 2600-3000 series of flutes, and likely is a design concept to accommodate the high-E key hole that requires the extra shoulder length." Kkrell
This is indeed old information and not correct today, as the short barrel with male tenon and trill key/keys can also be found flutes as early as the one now on Ebay, R&R 1713/8, and as late as RR&C 6169.

Some other Rudall flutes with the short barrel with male tenon and trill key/keys:

R&R 1713/18
R&R 1959
R&R 2002
R&R 2005
R&R 2202
R&R 5353
R&R 5399
RR&C 6169
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:
I found reference in an old Rudall Rose list (digest #5) where David Migoya wrote: "The male-tenon phenomena appears to fall into the 2600-3000 series of flutes, and likely is a design concept to accommodate the high-E key hole that requires the extra shoulder length." Kkrell
This is indeed old information and not correct today, as the short barrel with male tenon and trill key/keys can also be found flutes as early as the one now on Ebay, R&R 1713/8, and as late as RR&C 6169.

Some other Rudall flutes with the short barrel with male tenon and trill key/keys:

R&R 1713/18
R&R 1959
R&R 2002
R&R 2005
R&R 2202
R&R 5353
R&R 5399
RR&C 6169
Just to clarify, the info that has been updated seems to be about the serial # series in which this feature appears, which has been expanded. The flutes are still those with the extra long keys & perhaps requiring strength/wall thickness in that same area.
paddler

Post by paddler »

The flutes are still those with the extra long keys & perhaps requiring strength/wall thickness in that same area.
The issue isn't about strength or wall thickness. The point is that if the barrel was not shortened in this way the socket and tenon
would be located right where the keyed tone hole is. Since the location of the hole, relative to the embouchure, is acoustically constrained,
and since it is not possible/advisable to have a tone hole pass through a socket and tenon joint, the body has been extended, and
the barrel shortened, correspondingly, to move the socket-tenon joint further up the flute towards the embouchure.

The reason the socket tenon relationship has been reversed is because the tuning slide quickly gets in the way as you try to shorten
the barrel, and does not allow the socket-tenon joint to be moved far enough to avoid the tone hole. By reversing the
socket tenon relationship, and having the tenon be part of the barrel, it allows the outer part of the tuning slide to overlap the location
of the tenon/socket, by being part of the tenon. Doing it this way presumably allows the head length to be unchanged and the
gap left when opening the tuning slide to be in the same location as on other R&R flutes. It is a rather clever solution.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

I think also related to having a cylindrical headjoint & keeping a conical body.
paddler

Post by paddler »

This particular configuration will not change the length of the cylindrical part of the bore, nor the position at which the transition from cylindrical to conical begins. So, internally, the acoustic properties of the flute will be unchanged. Either a socket on the head and a tenon on the body, or a socket on the body and a tenon on the head, is workable on either the cylindrical of conical portion of the bore, so this is not a constraint. The problem with the former (socket on head and tenon on body) is that in order to keep the socket clear of the keyed tone hole, the tuning slide would need to be moved further toward the embouchure hole, otherwise there would be insufficient contact between it and the barrel to be stable. Moving the tuning slide closer to the embouchure hole would change the acoustic properties of the bore, but only when the slide is open, because the cavity created by the open slide would be in a different location. They probably didn't elect to do that because it can affect tuning.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

As far as a hole through a tenon it is can be done as it has been done on the past for clarinets with a key for an articulated C#/G#.

I think the main reason for not doing it on a flute is that flute players seem to like to turn their joints into their most preferred position. I can see that it may weaken the tenon as well. For clarinets the joints only line up one way for all the keys to work properly. On a flute there would need to be some sort of stop to make sure the holes lined up.