Grinter flute price?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
flutingwax

Grinter flute price?

Post by flutingwax »

Hi,
how much do you think a black wood 8 key D Grinter could go for? I imagine that considering his tragic departure they'll probably go for a pretty penny, I'm thinking in the range of Olwell's birthday flutes? What's your opinion?
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Grinter flute price?

Post by busterbill »

The market will sort itself out as flutes appear. But I assume you are correct.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

One offered here in Australia matching that exact description failed to sell recently for A$4300, about USD$3000, after being listed a couple of times on ebay and here. This is principally due to the immense difficulties of getting CITES permits to import into the US and other countries. This flute was offered, by pure coincidence, at the exact time Mike Grinter was killed tragically in a road cycling accident.

[I am not the seller.]
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

A six key lancewood Grinter was for sale, in England, for £3000 ($3865) in March 2018. This was before Grinter's sad demise and I don't know if it sold. I suspect though there is a greater demand for Pat Olwell's flutes than Grinter's
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
rmvanhorn
Tell us something.: Interested in traditional music - Irish, Nordic, you name it. I'm a flute and whistle player and interested in all aspects of flute playing, making.

Post by rmvanhorn »

flutingwax wrote:I imagine that considering his tragic departure they'll probably go for a pretty penny, I'm thinking in the range of Olwell's birthday flutes? What's your opinion?
I think that’s a big stretch, as the Olwell birthday flutes have special features over the standard models…metal lined tenons, lined keyways, cocus wood, foot to low C or B, etc.

Grinters are very nice, but I’ve noticed a lot more variance from Grinter to Grinter, than Olwells, which are freakishly consistent from flute to flute. Probably just a matter of finding the right buyer and seeing what the market will bear…
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

flutingwax wrote:Hi,
how much do you think a black wood 8 key D Grinter could go for? I imagine that considering his tragic departure they'll probably go for a pretty penny, I'm thinking in the range of Olwell's birthday flutes? What's your opinion?
an acanthus leaf Grinter model? maybe.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
flutingwax

Post by flutingwax »

rmvanhorn wrote:
flutingwax wrote:I imagine that considering his tragic departure they'll probably go for a pretty penny, I'm thinking in the range of Olwell's birthday flutes? What's your opinion?
I think that’s a big stretch, as the Olwell birthday flutes have special features over the standard models…metal lined tenons, lined keyways, cocus wood, foot to low C or B, etc.

Grinters are very nice, but I’ve noticed a lot more variance from Grinter to Grinter, than Olwells, which are freakishly consistent from flute to flute. Probably just a matter of finding the right buyer and seeing what the market will bear…
Yeah, I know that Olwell's birthday flutes have special features but, ecxept for last year's, they've been 6 keys and not 8. Also the production of Grinters just stopped, while hopefully Olwells will continue for a while with his son taking over (even if the waiting list is super long).
As far as consistency with Grinters, every one that I tried was great, with the odd one that was outstanding. This is for the new model and not the old one. I didn't care much for the old design. Same goes for Olwells. I tried a few (less than Grinters) and I thought they were great. I just remember that there was a particular keyless one that stood out for me.
Just curious by the way.