British-Irish dialect Quiz

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

British-Irish dialect Quiz

Post by PB+J »

The New York Times has a quiz up. It can pinpoint where you're from, which of course you already know, maybe.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

I tried the quiz. It knew I was not from Ireland, England Scotland or Wales. But based on my answers it put me closest to Southwest Ireland, which makes sense given that I grew up in an irish-american community.

A few years ago they did one for the US. It was pretty uncanny. It located where I was from extremely accurately. It located my wife, who grew up moving around in a military family, exactly in her Mom's hometown.

Note: I took it again and tried to be irish-- I used what i thought were irish expressions. It still knew I was not from Britain-Ireland, an called me strange, but this time it put me more or less in Dublin.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: British-Irish dialect Quiz

Post by fatmac »

Seems to think I come from Norwich, (maybe London/Luton), but I come from Kent, born & bred. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:It ... called me strange, but this time it put me more or less in Dublin.
No doubt James Joyce would have something knowing to say about that. :lol:

I'll try it later.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Apparently I'm from London. Fail. Sure, only a 10hr 15 minute nonstop flight away, but still...
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Got me in a 30 mile radius on the map, just slightly off-centre. A few words appeared to be very local usage. However, for some words (including 'school') the distribution map seemed rather odd.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've just done it and it identified with uncanny accuracy where I was brought up - South East Wales. Impressive stuff.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Definitely not from around here are you?" They nailed that, all right. :)

I've picked up an amazing amount of British and Irish English since I joined up here, and I see from the survey that I've barely scratched the surface. But I played fair and only used such words as I grew up with and am likely to hear locally.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It put me on a sort-of north-west-to-south-east sweep from Skye and Fort William to Edinburgh and the Borders (with the emphasis strangely more on that south-east end when I'm Glaswegian by birth and a naturalised Highlander), but still fairly impressive!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:"Definitely not from around here are you?" They nailed that, all right. :)

I've picked up an amazing amount of British and Irish English since I joined up here, and I see from the survey that I've barely scratched the surface. But I played fair and only used such words as I grew up with and am likely to hear locally.
I also did the test just for fun. I saw lots of British/Irish phrases I wish I used.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It was interesting to take that test. :thumbsup:
I have read the reason english is hard to learn as a second language is that there are to many words that mean the same thing. What I know as a drill press, over there it is a pillar drill. When I hear pillar the first image I have is the Parthenon temple on the Athenian Acropolis, Greece,
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

It was pretty accurate for me with a splodge covering West Yorkshire and the West Midlands.

I was born in Yorkshire and then moved to Coventry as a kid. There were a few words that I realised would probably nail that :-)
Brus

Post by Brus »

"Not from around here" which is accurate. I formed my speech habits in Michigan.

The closest they could place me was Galway or Killarney in Ireland, with Birmingham, England as an alternate.

I have Irish ancestors, but they were from Down and Longford, not way out west.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

It sussed out I'm from Sheffield, even though I threw a curve ball of some phrases borrowed from my Northern Irish mother.
LillyBelle
Tell us something.: I use play tin whistle as a kid in Ireland. I moved to France 6 years ago and just bought a tin whistle yesterday.

Post by LillyBelle »

Spot on. Lived in Limerick until I was 26, and it says Limerick, Galway, and Dublin. "Tackies" for runners is a pure Limerick term, Limerick and a small town in South Africa.

Interesting how it didn't mention what we call the thing to tie your hair up with, I've had many an argument over what's the proper word. And the word for a pencil sharpener :D