anyone any experience with Damian Thompson's 2 piece flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jorden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

anyone any experience with Damian Thompson's 2 piece flute?

Post by jorden »

I'm looking for a polymer flute and saw this one:

https://www.thompsonflutes.com/about

From the website:
The 'Two piece' model. A tunable two piece design only available in Delrin incorporating a lengthened headjoint & one piece (tapered bore) body.

Any opinions or experiences on this model in particular. I read other posts where people were enthusiastic in general about his flutes, but nothing on this new two piece model.

Thanks!
Jordden
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: anyone any experience with Damian Thompson's 2 piece flu

Post by fatmac »

I bought this beginner delrin flute a few months back, I'm fairly new to keyless, but I've been playing whistles for a few months now, & had a Tony Dixon ABS one piece before I bought this one. The hole spacings on the Damian Tompson flute are closer together, so easier to finger, but still require the 'pipers grip'.

Overall, very satisfied with the quality & sound of mine. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Jeffpederp
Tell us something.: Already play mandolin but attended whistle class at music camp in Newfoundland. Now a new whistler just learning to play cuts and when to breathe. Have a few whistles and At first I thought they were bad but now realize it was my playing. Used the Clarke book at first but now have private teacher and improving.

Post by Jeffpederp »

I am also interested in his “student” model made in delrin and would appreciate any comments from forum members who have had the opportunity to play one.

Thanks
john

Post by john »

I've tried at least a few of his delrin flutes which I think would have been 3/4piece models . I thought they were very good. As far as I know the budget model is just a simplified 2 piece design that sounds the same as the more expensive models.
jorden

Post by jorden »

Thanks for the replies! I've decided to order one and give it a try :)
ScottishWhistler
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning from experienced flautists and whistlers and hopefully find some decent whistles in trades!

Post by ScottishWhistler »

I have one of his student models and they are excellent, look terrific, have a wonderful tone and are very easy to maintain. Very beginner friendly but as you progress they don't become redundant or limiting either! fair play Damian :) - Martin
jorden

Post by jorden »

Received my Damian Thompson two-piece delrin flute. Damian was a pleasure to do business with & everything went smooth. I'm very pleased with the flute so far. It feels solid and well-made. No rough edges, excellent finish etc. It is the most basic of flutes: no endcap, no rings & two pieces joined by one tenon with cork. When I heard a very good player give it a go it sounded quite nice too. Now I just have to learn how to play it :)

There are some photo's of this model on Damian's site: https://www.thompsonflutes.com/about
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The first few months are the hardest. Courage! Patience!