Novice reviews some entry level flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Novice reviews some entry level flutes

Post by PB+J »

ancientfifer wrote:Have you tried an Ellis? I liked the couple I have tried. Would be interested in your perspective putting up against the other 4 you reviewed.

I'd love to try an Ellis!
will marshall

Post by will marshall »

I don’t know if it qualifies as “entry level” or not, but let me put in a word for the Essential Flute designed and made by Geoffrey Ellis. His website describes in detail the lengthy genesis of the instrument and how he sought inspiration from the best bamboo flutes. The result is a one-piece instrument in wood (with a resin-lined bore) or ebonite that is cylindrical, but with enough conicity at the head to ensure in-tune octaves. He explains the science of it all on the website.
Attracted by the concept I ordered and obtained a low C flute and liked it so much that when I saw that Geoffrey also had some D instruments in stock, I ordered one of those too. I really enjoy playing them. They have a rich lower octave and a sweet second. The third octave is barely there but I have other instruments that can handle that when necessary.
The finger spacing and hole size are comfortable (whereas I have found those a problem on longer bamboo flutes) and there is no need for eccentric “piper’s grip” types of hold or to use the flat of the fingers. Weight isn’t a big issue for me, but the exceptional lightness of the Essential Flute is a very appealing aspect, and might be a selling point for some.
The objection can be raised that a one-piece flute admits no pitch adjustment, apart from that obtainable via embouchure adjustment etc, so any group or session context that departs far from the A=440 standard would be problematic. But as a long-standing player of the renaissance flute, I find the one-piece design very natural and elegant (although the Essential Flute is designed to be diatonic and does not really respond to cross-fingering).
Geoffrey supplies a flute care kit that includes a waxy unguent that will ensure the grain remains eye-catching. It is an instrument well worthy of investigation, either as a starter flute or as an attractive complement to keyed or tuneable flutes. You will probably find yourself playing it quite a lot, for its own qualities and because the resinated bore means you don’t have to factor in time for swabbing-out rituals.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Thank you that's a great review