Larry "Lorenzo" Dickerson RIP

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Larry "Lorenzo" Dickerson RIP

Post by tommykleen »

More sad news for our piping community. Larry Dickerson (very frequent contributor over the years, here) passed away at home on Feb. 9.

He invited me into his home a couple of years ago and we talked pipes. A lot.

He was a great man of many, many talents.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Larry "Lorenzo" Dickerson RIP

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Oh my, that is terrible news! I have corresponded with Larry a lot over the years about various types of drone reeds and he was a great source of knowledge. May God grant him eternal rest and peace!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

That is devastating news. What a bright light in the field of reeds.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Rest in peace, Lorenzo.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Sad news indeed. I never met Larry but we corresponded for a while about B pipes. He had acquired several B chanters, 1/2 and 3/4 sets, and was trying to figure out which was his favourite. What a delightful dilemma for a piper to be in. If you check his FB page, he was also a gifted landscape photographer. God rest him.
PJ
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

I never meet Lorenzo in person, but he was kind enough to send me a really good bassoon reedmaking video many years ago. This video was amazing and helped my reedmaking in a major way. He was a truly nice guy! I'm sending good vibes his way!
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Sad news, Lorenzo was a long term member of our worldwide community
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

From Larry’s Facebook page:

Continuing on, a memorial service for him will be this coming Sat., Feb. 23, 4 pm. College Place Village Seventh-day Adventist Church, 715 SE 12th St. All invited. Many musical selections by friends and family. You are welcome to contact me his older sister, Carleen Dickerson Jones: rosscar@tds.net or message at 360.704.0301. Mention word “Larry” to identify authenticity of contact
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I will be attending Larry's memorial service and intend to express gratitude for Larry's many years of observations and correspondence on a broad range of topics around pipes and piping.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
PJ

Post by PJ »

When Rory Gallagher died, someone suggested that two minute's silence be observed in his honour. Brush Shiels responded that it would be more appropriate to have a two minute raging guitar solo instead.

In that sense, I hope that there will be some piping at Larry's memorial service.
PJ
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Only met once, but want to point out that he was also a stellar photographer. If you visit his Facebook page, take a look at his wonderful photos.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Very sorry to hear that news.
He used to be a great man for posting on this forum.
B

....nobody said this would be easy......