Rhymes with Orange-O

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Rhymes with Orange-O

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
DrPhill wrote:And what key was it?
The key of Q.
Not likely, Q has 17 flats
No no no. Q can be - and is - anything, and everything. Q.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:???
Q
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Q can be - and is - anything, and everything. Q.
In short, it is the key of Whatever. At the moment I am bereft of instruments, and I don't intuit these things without them, so Q it is. Were my life to depend upon it, off the top of my head I would venture that the key would be some iteration of E. The classically trained would be better equipped to nail it down.

For that matter, we haven't even established whether "egad" is supposed to be a progression or a chord. It might make a difference.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:...and as for Wiveliscombe (Somerset)......
Williscum.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
DrPhill wrote:...and as for Wiveliscombe (Somerset)......
Williscum.
Could be wrong, but don't think so ...

It's normally Willscum, as far as I know ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:It's normally Willscum, as far as I know ...
Just checked Wiki, and you're right. This time I was close, though. :thumbsup:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Along the same lines, I've always rather liked the names of the male and females dance troupes, the "Featherstonehaughs" and the "Cholmondeleys". Sadly, they've lost their folmonding.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Not remotely close, to a Brit. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Along the same lines, I've always rather liked the names of the male and females dance troupes, the "Featherstonehaughs" and the "Cholmondeleys". Sadly, they've lost their folmonding.
I would never in a million years have guessed "Fan-shaw". "Chumley" I already knew.

I had to look them up to get that "folmonding" was to be pronounced "funding". :lol:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Not remotely close, to a Brit. :D
Pinned by stern Britannia's gimlet eye, we stand no chance.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:For that matter, we haven't even established whether "egad" is supposed to be a progression or a chord.
Surely a tuning?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:For that matter, we haven't even established whether "egad" is supposed to be a progression or a chord.
Surely a tuning?
Romulan, perhaps.
benhall.1 wrote:
DrPhill wrote:???
Q
Took me a while, but I only just now realized that both posts were links.

Yes, the key of Q is very much of the multidimensional and/or infinitely potential order Ben had in mind. As to the other, I am as yet unaware of music theory having made any inroads into Queer Theory, or vice-versa. The fictional Q would probably claim the samely-named key for his own, so I'm not even going to bother saying otherwise. But I did anyway, didn't I. So there.

Q would probably appreciate that in its puny little way.

I first picked up the idea of "the key of Q" from a bandmate long ago; he used it mainly in reference to that set of keys which are outside the common norms of Trad (C#m, for example), but also to indicate any unspecified key in the hypothetical. I assumed he chose the letter Q not only because it is super-cryptic; it is also arresting, comical, and meaningless as well as easy to say and hear. Let's face it, X is pretty tired by now. For me the phrase was intuitive and stood up on its own, so it never occurred to me that he might have actually taken his inspiration from Star Trek. It's occurred to me now, though. And that's weird.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:
Folk round here refer to it as Wivey (rhymes with ivy) or Wivvy (doesnt rhyme with ivy),
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Nanohedron wrote: I first picked up the idea of "the key of Q" from a bandmate long ago; he used it mainly in reference to that set of keys which are outside the common norms of Trad (C#m, for example), but also to indicate any unspecified key in the hypothetical.
I think if you tried to tune a guitar string to Q, it would break.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
walrii

Post by walrii »

Late to the party. My apologies.

Not wishing to let the Brits have all the fun bashing foriegners for mangling their pronunciations (though the Brits do the bashing with a great deal more humor than the French), we Texans long ago planted our own linguistic land mines:

Hobart
Montague
Iowa Park

I’ll be the first to admit, however, that we Texans are not even on the same planet as “Woolfardisworthy.” Linguistically, that is.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.