Clancy - Fasten the Leg in Her

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Eoin_Maguire7
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From Belfast, I have been learning the pipes with Tom Clarke for about 6 months. I have been told that this site is a great resource for discussions relating to piping and traditional music in general.

Clancy - Fasten the Leg in Her

Post by Eoin_Maguire7 »

Hi Folks,

I was looking through my copy of the DMWC last night and noticed that he has been recorded playing the jig "Fasten the Leg in Her"/"Fasten the Legging" (tune 73). I never would have associated this tune with the pipes but would be interested in hearing Clancy's playing of it as I imagine he would have developed an attractive setting of the tune. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a digital copy of this recording that they would be willing to share?
I would obviously be willing to send back one or two of my own recordings to reciprocate if desired.

Cheers,
Eoin
Mr.Gumby

Re: Clancy - Fasten the Leg in Her

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can't immediately find a digitised version although I am pretty certain I have it somewhere. But I am facing a stack of unindexed tapes so don't get your hopes up.

FWIW, Tommy McCarthy played a lovely version he got from Clancy. I have heard Tommy Keane play that as well. Perhaps that helps widening the net. I recorded Tommy Mc playing that, I think. But again, finding it is a different matter.

[edit/add] :
<brainwave> there's a recording of Tommy McCarthy playing it here, 30 minutes in.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Eoin_Maguire7
Tell us something.: From Belfast, I have been learning the pipes with Tom Clarke for about 6 months. I have been told that this site is a great resource for discussions relating to piping and traditional music in general.

Post by Eoin_Maguire7 »

Thanks! I'd only perviously listened to Tim Collins playing it on the concertina, and the trio of Ennis, O'Flynn and Sean Keane playing it on the whistles. That's lovely playing from Tommy McCarthy.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That version is distinctly different from the usual (Michael Coleman inspired ) version. I don't know where Clancy got it.

Did you listen to Touhey's take on it? ( here )

Or Conroy's, for that matter.
My brain hurts

Eoin_Maguire7

Post by Eoin_Maguire7 »

Yes I actually have listened to Touhey's version some time ago, though I had forgotten about it until now. I wasn't aware that Andy Conroy played the tune. I've quite a few recordings of him, but Fasten the Legging does not feature.
I actually just found a brilliant video of Sean McKiernan playing the tune on the npu website.
http://pipers.ie/source/media/?searchTe ... 12&sPage=1
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I wasn't aware that Andy Conroy played the tune
~removed~
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Eoin_Maguire7

Post by Eoin_Maguire7 »

Ah, I've been more than desensitised to poor quality recordings at this point. You could hardly tell it was Conroy, could you, with all that backstitching and whatnot!
Cheers, appreciate it.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Hello

The first time I heard the tune was on a cassette recording made by the Hernon brothers called Béal A' Mhurlaigh. They coupled it with the version of the Lark in the Morning that Tommy McCarthy played. I always thought that it came from the London musicians/scene.

I know that Tommy Keane played it as well.

JOBM also used to do a good version of it.

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I always thought that it came from the London musicians/scene.
That makes sense, one of the Hernons was in the Good Mixer group with Tommy Keane, Henry Benagh et al.

You play the Clancy version as well don't you John?
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi Mr Gumby

I do indeed. I haven't played it in a long time. Nice to hear Tommy McCarthy again. I will have to revisit the Clare Library site. I tend to forget what's there.

Take care

John
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello

I was looking through some of my recordings and I have the Hynes brothers playing it, together with the Lark, on the flutes. They say in the introduction that it came from Willie Clancy. The Hynes brothers spent a long time in London as well. Maybe it was Willie that brought it over with him.

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Hynes brothers spent a long time in London as well
My bet is on the Willie-McCarthy-Keane line of transmission. Michaell Hynes was another fluteplayer associated with the Good Mixer group. I have a tape of them, Tommy Keane, Henry Benagh, Michael Hynes and Noel O'Grady from which I lifted a big load of tunes during the early nineties. Should probably check that (although I didn't get this one off it at the time). Come to think of it, I have the, or 'a', tape by the Hynes brothers as well. Good catch, that, it does have the tune(s) but it wouldn't have occurred to me at all.

Michael Hynes appears somewhere in Vallely's 'Companion' as 'Michael Heinz', by the way. Always good for a chuckle. :P
My brain hurts

gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

Can anyone explain what the title of this tune refers to? It immediately conjours an image in my mind but I'm sure it couldn't be that.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Think boats, beaching legs.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »