A Winter's Tale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: A Winter's Tale

Post by Nanohedron »

fatmac wrote:David Essex ... soon became your parents favourite...
Nah, mine went with Mantovani and Danny Kaye. Bit of a generational difference, there...
Nanohedron wrote:What's [weather] news is the recent wild mood swings.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, is expected to see a low of -29F (-33.9C), but only three days later it's supposed to be up to a comparatively tropical 39F (3.9C). Need I say more?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

-20F as I type this, and still dropping. *shiver*

I'm turning up the heat, dammit.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I heard on NPR that school is canceled in Minneapolis because of the cold. You KNOW it's cold when that happens.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

-24F. I'm putting off a grocery run so I can do it in the worst cold available.
chas wrote:I heard on NPR that school is canceled in Minneapolis because of the cold. You KNOW it's cold when that happens.
Not just Minneapolis, but all over. When I was a kid (here it comes, they groan) in North Dakota, I remember waiting for the school bus one day when it was -50F. Seriously. That's not wind chill. We spat in the air to see if it would crack before it hit the ground (it didn't; I think it has to be -70F for that). The air was very still, and the smoke from every chimney was flowing downward. That was an uncanny sight. Looking back it seems pretty stupid, but back then it just never seemed to occur to anybody that a day off might be the sensible thing to do. No idea why; maybe it was the rationale that if the Postal Service was running, everyone else should too. You just bundled up until you couldn't move, and soldiered on. Even though I survived all that very well, I think that "We were tougher in those days" is a reckless thing to say; a foolhardy adult is one thing, but our kids are quite another. Nowadays, leaving kids out in dangerous cold is unthinkable without at least some kind of plan, and even then I wouldn't want to do it. Sure, I'd want my kids to be tough, but there are better ways to go about it. Some people call that coddling - we only used to call off school if the snows made driving an obviously bad idea - but I think closing schools for the cold as well is just a case of common sense finally dawning on us: Playing outdoors in weather like that is fine if you're dressed for it and can take it, because you can quickly run inside to warm up; but if a bus broke down on an empty stretch you might end up with a lot of dead kids, and what is all your tough-it-out bravado worth then?
Tor

Post by Tor »

A vehicle without heating is extremely cold.. when I drive during winter in cold areas (outside of town) I always bring very warm clothing and a sleeping bag too. Just in case.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Made it down to -27F last night, but there were colder places to be sure. One town recorded -33F last I checked, and the night wasn't over yet. I hope our Canadian brethren are holding up well.

Even with the heat cranked up, at -20F it's still chilly in my building. Deeming caution to be the better part of valor, I cancelled a doctor's appointment for today.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

-24C here this morning. It's warmed up to a balmy -20C, but with a nasty wind. Not unprecedented, and not as bad as you're getting, but still wicked cold as far as I'm concerned. At these temperatures, going outside is scary. There's an extreme cold warning for Manitoba and major chunks of Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Quebec. It's -33C (-27F) in Winnipeg.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:It's -33C (-27F) in Winnipeg.
And maybe that's why they call it "Winterpeg", eh? :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

-11F (-23.9C), now. How strange to call that "out of the woods".
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Tor wrote:A vehicle without heating is extremely cold.. when I drive during winter in cold areas (outside of town) I always bring very warm clothing and a sleeping bag too. Just in case.
I used to drive extremely iffy cars and would do just that both in and out of town and my kids do the same. I still make them carry a parka and a pair of boots in their trunks through some parental jedi mind trick. Even though they are in their own cars in their twenties and think I am being overly concerned, they humor me.

Though, last year when my daughter slid off the road into a snowbank we both realized how far away your trunk is if you can't open your car doors. Fortunately for her the tow truck was only a half hour away. As we were loading his car for my son's drive back to Minnesota from Chicago after Christmas I found myself saying, "How 'bout you pop those boots in the back seat?"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:"How 'bout you pop those boots in the back seat?"
That way they'd be a heckuva lot warmer, too.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:What's [weather] news is the recent wild mood swings.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, is expected to see a low of -29F (-33.9C), but only three days later it's supposed to be up to a comparatively tropical 39F (3.9C). Need I say more?
Okay, it was only -27F to 37F, but who's counting. That's still a shift of 64 degrees or so in practically no time at all. It's Minnesota, so no doubt some of the more valiant types will even be wearing shorts today in celebration.