Please quote just what's needed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Please quote just what's needed

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:You know, I think some people just can't be arsed to pare it down when they're quoting
While I was careful not to say 'lazy quoting', I think many just habitually hit 'quote' without considering whether 'reply' would have served them equally well.
even less to break up a screed into its component parts so as to tackle them point by point.
But much of what we see isn't addressing 'points' at all; it's simply treating quote (whole-post quote) as the default reply mechanism.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Thank you. I have been quilty of this because it took me a while to figure out how to do this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:Thank you. I have been quilty of this because it took me a while to figure out how to do this.
And here I thought it was all because I was simply that inspiring. :lol:

But yes, one should take into account that some people don't find the process intuitive.

You know, it just occurred to me that a brief tutorial could be set up in Forum Support. That would be good use of a sticky.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Thinking part of the problem could be the presence of quote buttons on every post but reply just at top and bottom of pages? Though you can always hit quote then delete the pre-filled content before typing (as I've just done now)...

Dunno if phpBB can be configured to include simple reply buttons alongside all the quote buttons, but I've just noted that the default configuration of SMF is the same (quote on every post and reply top and bottom), so perhaps hold 'standard forum design' partly to blame!

Master of nine?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

busterbill wrote:Thank you. I have been quilty of this because it took me a while to figure out how to do this.
Guilty Keilty… Me too! :oops:
Nanohedron wrote:But yes, one should take into account that some people don't find the process intuitive.
It took me well, look over to your left, that's me almost all of the 7 years to learn to separate the quotes. Early on Denny helped both online and off with the quotes as I just couldn't comprehend it. Missing Denny and its about this time in his passing. :cry:

p.s. I still don't have the quote skill perfected like the folks hereabouts in the thread. And the smilies… I thought were just pretty things to make comment visual. :oops:
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:You know, it just occurred to me that a brief tutorial could be set up in Forum Support. That would be good use of a sticky.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:You know, it just occurred to me that a brief tutorial could be set up in Forum Support. That would be good use of a sticky.
Want me to write one?

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Want me to write one?
That would be great. Send me a PM with a draft. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:And the smilies… I thought were just pretty things to make comment visual. :oops:
Maybe we need to have a word on that too...
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:
ytliek wrote:And the smilies… I thought were just pretty things to make comment visual. :oops:
Maybe we need to have a word on that too...
No need, I get the point.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:too...
Another possible cause of quote fog is the dufficulty of cutting and pasting on an iPad, or worse yet, an iPhone. You have no idea the trials and trauma I endured to quote Nano out of context using my iPhone. Truly though, tablet editing is a pain.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:You have no idea the trials and trauma I endured to quote Nano out of context using my iPhone.
I never promised it would be easy.