Kerry Optima F whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bruce.b
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Kerry Optima F whistle

Post by bruce.b »

This whistle is amazing. It’s easily my favorite. It plays easily and the tone is wonderful, powerful, rich, and excellent volume.My wife just commented on how nice it sounds, and she’s not a tin whistle fan. It’s a powerful whistle you can lean into, with a lot of dynamics available.
Last edited by bruce.ba on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Kerry Optima F whistle

Post by fatmac »

Glad you like it, it was on my shortlist too, but I opted for a Shearwater, which I am awaiting right now. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

I just played it for the first time last night. I was away on a trip when it arrived. I’m blown away by how great it is. Part of it may be the pitch. It’s still a low whistle, but it seemed richer and more powerful than the MK Low D I had, or any of the other low D’s I’ve played. I’ve not played any other Overton style whistles. When I was playing it this morning my wife and kids all said it sounded great.
Last edited by bruce.ba on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

That's two out three votes for a happy wife. I may need to look into this.

This is an alto whistle, yes? can I ask how big this whistle is? I haven't played low whistles at this point and my biggest whistle is an alto A which feels like a bit of a tank compared to most of my high whistles. Especially my Eb
bruce.b

Post by bruce.b »

Polara Pat wrote:That's two out three votes for a happy wife. I may need to look into this.

This is an alto whistle, yes? can I ask how big this whistle is? I haven't played low whistles at this point and my biggest whistle is an alto A which feels like a bit of a tank compared to most of my high whistles. Especially my Eb
Significantly more of a tank than an alto A, but more sports car like than a low D.
Last edited by bruce.ba on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Re sizes - my low 'D' is approx 24", & my alto 'A' is roughly 15" - the low 'F' is between the two, size wise, (I haven't received mine yet), but I'd estimate it will be about 19~20" long, & the hole spacings will definitely be greater than an 'A' whistle, likely need to use the 'pipers grip' to play it, like I do on the low 'D'.
(Hope that gives you an idea.)
Keith.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

fatmac wrote:Re sizes - my low 'D' is approx 24", & my alto 'A' is roughly 15" - the low 'F' is between the two, size wise, (I haven't received mine yet), but I'd estimate it will be about 19~20" long, & the hole spacings will definitely be greater than an 'A' whistle, likely need to use the 'pipers grip' to play it, like I do on the low 'D'.
(Hope that gives you an idea.)
That does help. It is still an alto and not a low though, right? I also need to chill out on buying whistles for a while. Haha
bruce.b

Post by bruce.b »

It feels and sounds like a low whistle to me. Like an easier to play, very responsive, low whistle. It seems a lot closer to a low D than an alto A.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

From my understanding, reading posts on here mainly, alto is Bb/A/G, then they are low whistles, down to a low C, then they are bass whistles - but I could easily be wrong, just my understanding from being on the forum for a couple of months. :)
Keith.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

fatmac wrote:From my understanding, reading posts on here mainly, alto is Bb/A/G, then they are low whistles, down to a low C, then they are bass whistles - but I could easily be wrong, just my understanding from being on the forum for a couple of months. :)
Hmmmmmm....... Interesting topic. :-?

Yes I would also say there is an alto Bb, however there is also a (low or bass?) Bb being made by a few makers. And an alto A and bass A.

Hmmm.... I am not sure where alto whistles change to tenor?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Several of the makers that I was looking at for my 'low' F call them 'low' whistles too, so it would definitely seem to be seen as such, & most regard Bb as alto, whilst a low/alto G depends on who makes it, it would seem. :D

I think we need a 'definitive' thread for this, so that us 'newbies' know the right designation to use. :wink:

Edit: New thread here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108061
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

My Shearwater low 'F' just turned up, it is just over 19.5" long, (it's a nice whistle, too). :thumbsup:
Keith.