A Winter's Tale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

A Winter's Tale

Post by Nanohedron »

So here in Minnesota we've had an unusually mild winter so far, unlike the rest of the US, which is kind of a first. Now, though, the temperatures are at last more typical of the season. Last night it was down to -6F (that's -21C to the rest of you), and I had to go out for a quick run to the convenience store, so I bundled up and thought to make short work of it. The air was most bracing, and I thought that all in all it wasn't so bad; we'd been spoiled, but we're Minnesotans after all. Well, I'd forgotten it had snowed, and the car needed to be brushed off and the windows scraped, so this was going to take more time than I'd planned for. That done, now I was feeling the cold (I usually don't wear head coverings), and I got in and made my way to the store, noting darkly that a week ago the heater would have warmed up by now. As I pulled into the parking spot, there in front of me were the manager and one of his workers on a smoke break, shivering and shuffling and looking for all the world like bums; good people - the best - but they're pretty rough around the edges, and smoking out in the subzero made for an even sorrier tableau. "How's it going?" called the manager as I got out. The cold being the topic of the day, I grumbled, "Remind me again why I love Minnesota...?" The other fellow wisecracked, "The sights?" - to which I replied, "Yeah, I'm looking at a couple of 'em right now."

I got a laugh out of 'em. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A Winter's Tale

Post by chas »

There’s a wonderful recent movie called Winter’s Tale with Jessica Brown Findlay. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It has an okay story, but the cinematography is just a work of art.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:There’s a wonderful recent movie called Winter’s Tale with Jessica Brown Findlay. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709/?ref_=nv_sr_1

From the webpage: "A burglar falls for an heiress as she dies in his arms. When he learns that he has the gift of reincarnation, he sets out to save her." Bloody hell. The only thing missing is a marching band.

Normally I don't care for mushy; give me a good swashbuckler any day. And usually in either case, the less credible it is, the less I like it: "The gift of reincarnation", fercryinoutloud. Gift? - It's why I don't like most Chinese wuxia movies where everyone's fluttering diaphanously thru the air to deliver yet another out of countless mighty blows that will have no more deadly effect than a push, yet the receiver flies backward into a pillar and breaks it - and comes away unscathed by that, too. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was highly praised, but not even five minutes in I had to change the channel; I don't sit still when having my intelligence insulted. But great cinematography does get my attention. On your recommendation, chas, I'll keep the movie on my radar - I might find I like it in spite of itself. :wink:

I do like The Matrix, though, even though the action is pure wuxia. The reason for that is a difference of premise: The Matrix is about illusion, whereas wuxia asks me to believe that there could actually be a class of flesh-and-blood mortals so adept that they really can fly and resist impacts that would kill an elephant. Just can't bring myself to run with the idea.

All this talk of wuxia has me wanting to wash my mouth out. I think I'll watch 13 Assassins tonight as a palate cleanser. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

The Novel, A Winter's Tale, was an awesome read and one of my all time favourite books....read it a long time ago...for me, the movie was a big disappointment compared to the novel....I do agree that it was visually stunning though.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That's two votes for the burglar. When I titled this thread I was loosely referencing Shakespeare, and didn't know about anything else. A little further looking today, and I find that his play is instead titled "The Winter's Tale". One word makes all the difference.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

chas wrote:There’s a wonderful recent movie called Winter’s Tale with Jessica Brown Findlay. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I always think the dead of winter is a good time to revisit Dr. Zhivago. I don't know if any service streams it. I bought the DVD a few years back and have yet to watch it. It astounded me in theaters in the 70s. With my local weather man referring to the weather that is coming into Chicago in a couple of days as "Barbaric Cold" (even to the point of putting those words in the 7 day weather forecast graphic), perhaps this is the week.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:With my local weather man referring to the weather that is coming into Chicago in a couple of days as "Barbaric Cold" (even to the point of putting those words in the 7 day weather forecast graphic)...
A low of -26F (-32C) is forecast for Tuesday in my patch. Ever since I can remember, it's been a given that you're going to have at least a couple of days like that - nights, more likely - so so far I haven't heard anyone saying the sky is falling. If we have a week of days like that, that would be news; a week or so of single-digit subzero temps - not as much. What's news is the recent wild mood swings.

Our forecasters usually use words like "extremely cold" or "dangerously cold". Perhaps we take "barbaric" too personally. :wink:
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Nanohedron wrote:
busterbill wrote: Our forecasters usually use words like "extremely cold" or "dangerously cold". Perhaps we take "barbaric" too personally. :wink:
I think our meteorologist was having a very good time. Our lowest recorded temp at Chicago's Ohare airport is -27. I was 30 something and bundled up to take a walk with my roommates. Thirty years later I find myself thinking avoidance is an option. My son is in Duluth and my nephew in Montana. These temperatures are normal for them as they are for you. But for us lily-livered Chicagoans - 4 is a bit of a chill. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Our forecasters usually use words like "extremely cold" or "dangerously cold". Perhaps we take "barbaric" too personally. :wink:
I think our meteorologist was having a very good time. Our lowest recorded temp at Chicago's Ohare airport is -27. I was 30 something and bundled up to take a walk with my roommates. Thirty years later I find myself thinking avoidance is an option. My son is in Duluth and my nephew in Montana. These temperatures are normal for them as they are for you. But for us lily-livered Chicagoans - 4 is a bit of a chill. :D
If our meteorologists can't have fun, where would we be?

I take it you meant -4, rather than the hyphen being punctuation. But if not, even 4 above zero is cold, no doubt about it. My idea of ideal winter weather is nothing lower than the upper 20s F.

Years back I once (and only once, thank God) had to change a tire on a very big car when it was -25F outside. Think wrestling a trawler in liquid nitrogen. You can't feel your hands because the metal sucks the heat away despite your mittens and gloves (those of you who've had the job of stocking walk-in refrigerators and freezers will know what I'm talking about), so it's not just cold beyond description, you're pretty hampered, too, which means you're going to be out there longer than you would have to be on a warm day. Good times. I think that was the day I first started hating cars.
chas

Post by chas »

busterbill wrote: I think our meteorologist was having a very good time. Our lowest recorded temp at Chicago's Ohare airport is -27. I was 30 something and bundled up to take a walk with my roommates. Thirty years later I find myself thinking avoidance is an option. My son is in Duluth and my nephew in Montana. These temperatures are normal for them as they are for you. But for us lily-livered Chicagoans - 4 is a bit of a chill. :D
I went to college in Maine. Every winter there were a couple of stretches when it wouldn't get above zero (F) for a week or two, and when it got up to 20, we all had our parkas open. I saw 30 below one winter. That's COLD.

Avoidance: My #1 goal after college was moving South. This week we may have our fourth day this winter with the LOW below 10 degrees. As I always say, I didn't move South for this.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas

Post by chas »

Hs!t, you upper midwesterners, I just looked at weather.com ! Nano, you're looking at close to 50 below wind chill Wednesday morning. That's PAINFUL! Buster's looking at 40 below wind chill.

I know I don't need to remind y'all long-time residents, but bundle up! You have my sympathies (and those of my wife, who lived several years in Chicago growing up).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:That's two votes for the burglar. When I titled this thread I was loosely referencing Shakespeare, and didn't know about anything else. A little further looking today, and I find that his play is instead titled "The Winter's Tale". One word makes all the difference.
And there's me thinking that, because you used "A" and not "The", you were referencing "A Winter's Tale" - the mushy, sentimental song by David Essex.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:Nano, you're looking at close to 50 below wind chill Wednesday morning. That's PAINFUL! Buster's looking at 40 below wind chill.
"Bone-breaking" is the word I use for such cold; thank goodness for insulation and central heating. Last night in honor of the impending temperature crash I watched a documentary, The Tundra Book, and I don't know how the Chukchis do it. For most of their year it's the deep-freeze, and they live in tents, fercryinoutloud. There's a limit to how much tradition I can romanticize.

Yeah, chas, then there's the wind chill. Even at no wind chill - it could happen - in weather like that you don't go out unless you have to. And I'm going to have to. Starting in a couple of hours we'll see around 15 hours' worth of snowfall - until now, everything substantial has bypassed us to the north and south, which is unusual - and as caretaker to my apartment building, I'll be out there manning the snowblower. I haven't done that in so long that I'm going to have to re-learn how to start it up. It won't be nearly as cold as the Tuesday and Wednesday to come, but I hope the accumulations will be light enough that I can say, "Ah, screw it." The chances of that aren't looking good, though.
chas wrote:I know I don't need to remind y'all long-time residents, but bundle up!
You haven't lived until you've seen coeds in only lace tops and miniskirts, and young men in only jeans and T shirts, trying desperately to hail a cab in downtown MPLS when it's 9F (-13C) on New Year's Eve. And you see it every year. Those folks are obviously not from here, where we value our lives and layering itself is fashion. It's why we have cloakrooms.
benhall.1 wrote:And there's me thinking that, because you used "A" and not "The", you were referencing "A Winter's Tale" - the mushy, sentimental song by David Essex.
I'll look it up later when I have the stomach. :wink:

~~~~~~~~~

OMG. I need a shot of insulin. :lol:
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote: And there's me thinking that, because you used "A" and not "The", you were referencing "A Winter's Tale" - the mushy, sentimental song by David Essex.
I just checked it out. Horrible. I'd only known him from "Rock on" and "War of the Worlds," both of which were way better than that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

David Essex was OK when he did rock songs, but he soon became your parents favourite, & that's when that stuff started.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.