Got my low D!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Got my low D!

Post by AuLoS303 »

My Kerry Optima tuneable came today. It looks fantastic and is huge. The grip takes some getting used to, especially the lowest note. I've found that if I hold the whistle at an angle I get a better grip

You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Got my low D!

Post by fatmac »

Good to hear it's arrived - keep us updated as to how you find playing it. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

After much fiddling and watching the first tutorial on Phil's site I got a scale. That low note is quite a stretch, and I have big hands! I suppose I could do stretching exercises before playing...

https://youtu.be/koV8hzJnpvM
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Seems to have a good tone. :thumbsup:

(I find placing my ring finger tip on the lower of the three holes of each hand has helped.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

fatmac wrote:Seems to have a good tone. :thumbsup:

(I find placing my ring finger tip on the lower of the three holes of each hand has helped.)
Yea on Phil's site he says to use the second pad of the first two fingers and the tip of the 3rd to cover the holes (221,221)
But even then its a stretch. And I have piano hands!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:

Yea on Phil's site he says to use the second pad of the first two fingers and the tip of the 3rd to cover the holes (221,221)
It's a funny thing, but it took me ages when I first got a low D to get used to the stretch, and that was even after having already got used to the flute, which in theory is about the same stretch. And then ... all of a sudden I found that it wasn't a stretch any more. I really don't know what changed.

By the way, I don't think I'd recommend stretching exercises - you might injure yourself if you're not careful. It'll just come to you, one day. Then the next day, it will have gone; it'll come back quicker ... etc etc
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:

It's a funny thing, but it took me ages when I first got a low D to get used to the stretch, and that was even after having already got used to the flute, which in theory is about the same stretch. And then ... all of a sudden I found that it wasn't a stretch any more. I really don't know what changed.

By the way, I don't think I'd recommend stretching exercises - you might injure yourself if you're not careful. It'll just come to you, one day. Then the next day, it will have gone; it'll come back quicker ... etc etc
Well I have a flute but I dont find it a stretch. Oh unless you mean a traditional, keyless flute...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:Well I have a flute but I dont find it a stretch. Oh unless you mean a traditional, keyless flute...
Not keyless. I've never been into them. But not Boehm, like yours either. 8-key, simple system is my sort of flute.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I played pipes before taking up whistle so "piper's grip" came natural to me, at least in the low hand.

Whenever "legit" players try my Low Whistles they always arch their fingers. That's the deadly part, and the part that forces them to try to stretch their fingers apart. Flat(ish) fingers can spread to comfortably cover a much wider distance than arched fingers. So to me there's no "stretch" per se involved with whistles down to Low D and even my Goldie Low C.

With my Bass A yes there's a bit of a stretch, and yes my hands can tire if I play that huge beast too long.

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJm6BQ-Qxcg&t=66s

But yes, both hands using the middle-joint pads on the index and middle fingers, and the endjoint pads on the ring fingers.

Here are Low Ds from various makers (including an Optima) showing how the holes are pretty much the same

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I use the Piper's grip but the lowest note is a real hard stretch and at times it seems I just can't get it. Then I saw a video of a young girl playing my same whistle and realusee I just have to practice.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I modify the piper's grip a little, with the fingers of my right hand flat I use the middle or lowest pads over the holes. I have to play very slow for now. But slow music suits the instrument anyway.

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

AuLoS303 wrote:I modify the piper's grip a little...
What it looks like in that photo is the "grip" I've always used on Highland pipes, which I transferred to uilleann pipes and Low Whistle:

Piper's grip on the low hand, but not the upper hand (using the end-joint pad on all three upper hand fingers).

This meant than on Low Whistles I've always had a comfortable stretchless grip on the low hand, but as the whistles got bigger I had more and more trouble with the upper hand. If those three upper-hand holes were just a wee bit wide I had issues covering them.

So a few years ago I bit the bullet and forced myself to re-learn my upper-hand grip, switching to the true piper's grip on both hands. This has been helpful both for Low Whistles and for uilleann pipes.

To diagramme these grips, using E for end-joint pad and M for middle-joint pad:

Highland pipes:
E
E
E
_
M
M
M
E
(some Highland pipers use the middle-joint pad on all three upper-hand holes)
Uilleann pipes:
M
M
E
_
M
M
M
E
(note the lower hand is the same as the Highland pipes)
Low Whistle
M
M
E
_
M
M
E
You can see that using the term "piper's grip" for Low Whistle fingering is a misnomer, on the low hand.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

AuLoS303 wrote: I saw a video of a young girl playing my same whistle and realised I just have to practice.
Then there's this!! It will make all of us re-think our finger stretch issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFO-QF6Q_Y
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote: I saw a video of a young girl playing my same whistle and realised I just have to practice.
Then there's this!! It will make all of us re-think our finger stretch issues...

Good grief!
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

pancelticpiper wrote:

That's just not fair! :boggle:

Piper Joe