Questions about New Burke Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Questions about New Burke Whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

michaelpthompson wrote:When I played clarinet, I removed the reed after every session...
You'll find that pipers aren't like that!

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is the piper's approach.

Reeds are so much trouble to get just right, the last thing you would want to do is muck with them.

They asked an old piper why he never took a wife. "A wife?! I have enough trouble with my reeds!!"

The amazing thing are my bassoon friends who will make two reeds for each gig, one reed for the first half of the concert, one for the second half. They say they get maybe an hour out of a reed.

Pipers might play the same drone reeds their whole life. I've been playing the same reed in my uilleann chanter since 1982. Highland chanter reeds, you might get a year out of one. When I was playing in a higher-level band the Pipe Major (who is a great reedmaker) would make us all new chanter reeds and issue them out a couple weeks before our first contest of the season, then halfway through the season issue us each a new one. He reckoned a couple months was the optimum life of a chanter reed.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyler DelGregg
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Questions about New Burke Whistle

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Since we're on Burkes, let me ask this question. I have a previously owned Burke brass narrow bore high D with all the usual markings by Michael Burke minus the year. Is this an accidental omission by Michael? It doesn't bother me one bit, but I am curious.