Care and Feeding of a Geoffrey Ellis Flute

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
michaelpthompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Care and Feeding of a Geoffrey Ellis Flute

Post by michaelpthompson »

I noticed that on my invoice for me wonderful Geoffrey Ellis Basketmaker flute, there was a note that said: "Flute Care Pack: Not Included"

That raises two questions. First, I never saw an option for a flute care pack. Is this something I missed?

But more importantly, is there anything I should know about caring for this lovely flute? What would have been included in such a pack? The flute is made of Curly Douglas Fir. Does it need more than an occasional swabbing? Any insight appreciated.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: Care and Feeding of a Geoffrey Ellis Flute

Post by Andro »

Why don't you ask Mr Ellis?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Andro wrote:Why don't you ask Mr Ellis?
Yes, he's on this forum (member name: Geoffrey Ellis):
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19297

Email or PM.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

I keep hoping he'll notice the thread and reply, but perhaps I need to contact him directly.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

michaelpthompson wrote:I keep hoping he'll notice the thread and reply, but perhaps I need to contact him directly.
He may not be looking at the topics in the World/Folk Winds forum - I think he concentrates on the Flute forum.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Crawforde
Tell us something.: I am interested in Scottish and ITM.
My main instrument is the harmonica, but I just ordered a whistle to start that too.

Post by Crawforde »

Send him an email.
I haven’t even purchased one of his instruments and he responded with kindness and helpful information.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Got your PM and the link to this forum and sent you a PM in return.

It's true that I'm very rarely in this forum, so I didn't see your post. I drop in here once in a blue moon. I'd be thrilled to see more world flute traffic over here--that would definitely get me to lurking! Obviously I make a lot of world flutes and have a strong interest in them, but C&F is really more trad-centric, probably not so much by design but simply because of gravity (initially a whistle forum that drew a lot of whistle players who were into trad).

But anyone who wants to really start some chatter about world flutes will find me willing and able to weigh in!
michaelpthompson

Glad to hear it. I replied to your PM by email, since you stated your preference for that avenue.

I am glad to continue discussing world flutes. I also have a more traditional Lakota style NA flute which I love to play. I play tin whistle a bit but never really got into it seriously. I do play TRAD music, but mostly on stringed instruments.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!