Preferences for half-hole or cross-fingerings for C natural

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greylarsen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Preferences for half-hole or cross-fingerings for C natural

Post by greylarsen »

I don't often visit these forums, so would someone be so kind as to point me to past threads that discuss the half-hole fingering for C-natural, and players' preferences for this fingering vs. cross-fingerings for C?

I'm particularly curious about such preferences among players of whistle music from non-Irish traditions, such as Scottish, Breton, Galician, etc.

Many thanks!
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Preferences for half-hole or cross-fingerings for C natu

Post by fatmac »

I'm only a beginner, but I tend to use oxx ooo (on a key of D whistle).

(I play non ITM.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I almost always use OXX OOO, and half hole for some airs. I tend to avoid playing whistles that can’t do a decent OXX OOO. I play Irish Trad and other eclectic non Irish music, especially Scottish and Appalachian, including Renaissance/ Medieval.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I use both approaches depending on tune and position of note. Plus vaying fingering for c nat depending on whistle key and feeling.
Be adaptable and flexible.
Cheers
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

When I was a kid, no-one ever told me about such things as cross-fingering C naturals, so I half-holed away happily.

Much, much later I discovered cross-fingering the C natural, or rather I sort of became aware that it existed, and then came across someone who used it all that time.

These days I really don't think about it all that much. I tend to half-hole, but occasionally I'll cross-finger (depending on the whistle it seems, this is the trouble with these things) if it means an easier fingering pattern. I never try to cross-finger the top C natural (or equivalent on whistles other than D).

I play a lot of non-Irish stuff, but English and Scottish tunes aren't all that different to the Irish ones (oh, and the Welsh, we always seem to forget the Welsh).
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

I tend to use OXX OOO. The are a few tunes in which I half hole. But, mostly cross fingering. I play whistles with thicker walls. The cross fingering works really well on my Susato, O'Brien, Parks and Oz. It seems to work not as well on my Feadogs, Generations and Dixon Trad.

I play mostly trad. Some contemporary stuff. American folk.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I originally used OXX OOO, but changed to OXO XXX when I started playing flute, for which that fingering had better tone. Even after getting a keyed flute, I never learned to use the C-nat key. (By the way, it's an 8-key Firth, Pond & Co, which I love).

I suffered a little bit building up speed for some note sequences. But, that pales in comparison to playing in flat keys on the flute.

Irish mainly, but occasional songs & pieces.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Coming from the uilleann pipes to whistle and flute the crossfingering came as second nature.

Crossfingered C natural can be bent, cut, pat, and rolled, so it's hard to know what advantage there would be to half-holing C natural.

Though on flute and whistle I do half-hole C natural in the common phrase that occurs in the 2nd octave B-C-B. Seems to be called for there.

Now some will say that crossfingered C natural sounds weak. Some drill C natural thumb-holes in their whistles to get a pure clear loud C natural. But I accidentally acquired a Low Whistle with the C natural hole and I've compared the C natural got from that hole with my usual crossfingered C natural and they're pretty much identical in pitch, volume, and timbre.

BTW I was a Highland piper before I became an uilleann piper. When I've played Highland pipe tunes on whistle the C natural issue doesn't come up, because you get the Highland pipe scale on whistle starting on A and using the open C#.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Just a beginner here. I find it hard to wrap my head around half holing at speed, whearas cross fingering now seems extremely natural. On the whistle I play the cross fingered note does not have the same timbre as the other notes, and the half holed C sounds better. I’ve been trying to half hole instead of cross fingering but it’s not going well. At my age I don’t want the perfect to be the enemy of the good, so will likely stick with cross fingering