Is there a quality plastic Fife?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Is there a quality plastic Fife?

Post by MichaelRS »

I looked but I did not see among some of the major Fife manufacturers, at least the ones I could remember, to see if anybody was making a QUALITY Fife out of some sort of polymer. I'm not talking about that standard practice black one that can double as a police truncheon, but something that might actually look more "Fife like".
So are they out there , for a decent price, or is one pretty much stuck jumping to the various wood offerings?
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: Is there a quality plastic Fife?

Post by Andro »

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

That Yamaha is a bit different, it plays like a recorder, it has 7 finger holes & a rear thumb hole, & is a C instrument.

I bought my fife off Ebay, it is an "Original Pastalit Trommelflote (Querflote) Nr. 130P" - fitted with ferrules, 6 finger holes plus a raised (stands up higher) 7th hole. Other than that, I know nothing about it - I bought it to practice my embouchure for flute.

Edit: Maybe try the Tony Dixon ABS piccolo high D, it has a nice tone, if you're not specifically after a Bb.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a Tipple Bb Fife. Simply lovely to play, tunable...I would suggest reaching out to Doug. Please note, though, I am a flute player and play this Fife in place of a BB whistle...I do not venture up into the higher ranges a real fifer does.

Eric
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Hi fatmac, Are these Trommelflöte instruments unique to Germany? I can't find them anywhere, except on the German ebay, some old military ones in grenadilla it seems.

Is there a current source? Is Pastalit a defunct maker?
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

It's possible that some individual fife makers would consider making a Delrin fife as a special order; my understanding though is that Delrin is hard on tools so it's probably not something they'd be eager to take on. But you could try someone like Skip Healy to see if he'd be willing. I have a Delrin fife that was made by Chris Abell many years ago as a prototype; I don't think he ever made another.
Andro

Post by Andro »

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Andro wrote:Hi fatmac, Are these Trommelflöte instruments unique to Germany? I can't find them anywhere, except on the German ebay, some old military ones in grenadilla it seems.

Is there a current source? Is Pastalit a defunct maker?
I'm sorry, I really don't know any more about it - I bought it because the Yamaha was so unlike a simple system keyless flute - it is made of a hard plastic of some sort, & the chap I bought it from had 3 for sale, at £20 each, (but that was over six months ago).
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

bradhurley wrote:It's possible that some individual fife makers would consider making a Delrin fife as a special order; my understanding though is that Delrin is hard on tools so it's probably not something they'd be eager to take on. But you could try someone like Skip Healy to see if he'd be willing. I have a Delrin fife that was made by Chris Abell many years ago as a prototype; I don't think he ever made another.
Right, and that's precisely what I was looking for. But I wasn't interested in paying somebody a premium to make me a one-run item.

I know bagpipe manufacturers have been making everything from practice chanters to blow pipes to drone pipes to actual pipe chapters out of it. And of course you have all the regular keyless flutes and piccolos as well as tin whistles....so I can't figure out why it has not caught on with Fife manufacturers to the point where there's not a general offering of Bb Fifes out there
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Quote:
I know bagpipe manufacturers have been making everything from practice chanters to blow pipes to drone pipes to actual pipe chapters out of it (delrin)./Quote

There is a world of difference between wet, mouthblown bagpipes and dryblown, bellows driven bagpipes. Wet pipes by virtue of their narrow bores suffer the same trials as oboes. They crack, they warp and they can rot. Delrin is tough on tools and has not found that much favour in the Uilleann world. The Maker of straight bore wet-blown pipes can simply send his tools out to be sharpened. He has geometry and the economy of large demand on his side. Uilleann makers have nuanced tapered reamers and much smaller demand working against them and have little interest in materials that dull and damage their tooling. There has been some interest in 3D printing, but this is not Delrin.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Perhaps Peeler Fifes acrylic resin instruments (scroll down), especially if you like bright colors...

Or maybe these

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Okay, thanks Bob. Information I had not known so therefore did not consider. I just know that derlin GHBs or their components are far less expensive than the various wood ones, but wasn't sure what all the factors were involved with that.

So, being thus uninformed, I wondered how hard could it be to drill out a fife from it in the same manner and offer it for less.
Now I know.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Aulos produce one too.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Delrin is tough on tools and has not found that much favour in the Uilleann world. The Maker of straight bore wet-blown pipes can simply send his tools out to be sharpened. He has geometry and the economy of large demand on his side. Uilleann makers have nuanced tapered reamers and much smaller demand working against them and have little interest in materials that dull and damage their tooling. There has been some interest in 3D printing, but this is not Delrin.

Bob
This got my interest. I've worked with Delrin for years, making flutes and flute parts from it regularly and I've never noticed that it has the slightest detrimental effect on tooling. I'd be interested to hear more about this--what is it about the material that is supposed to cause this? There are definitely some high silica woods (like purpleheart wood, for example) that are very tough on tools, but I hadn't noticed it with the Delrin. It machines like butter, really. But my not noticing it does not mean that it's not problematic--it might simply mean that I didn't notice :-)

One thing it does do, is that it shrinks when it gets hot. I've had it trap a reamer before and I had to use a pretty serious amount of leverage to get my reamer back!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

When I trained as a machinist, I found I had to adjust the cutting geometry for efficient machining of small delrin parts. Threading in particular, especially cross sections of about .375 in.,were especially problematic. The delrin exhibited a lot of 'rebound' due to the 'toughness' of the material. I think a 'scraping' action would have been more effective, but rather that modify the rake of my cutters, I abandonned the project.
My experience making chanters is limited to three or four prototypes. The throat diameters were between .281 in. and .187 in. To successfully ream such bores with accuracy would probably involve hand reaming with very sharp tooling and very little force. Considering all the other hours involved with making all the other parts of a set, I, for one would view such a prospect with apathy.
Other plastics might be more appealing from a machining perspective but I'm not sure about customer acceptance. Woods of various types are well accepted. Even with wood, the reamers could be seized, and are quite 'wiggly' as it is. I used a single reamer method. Even using staged reamers still confronts the narrow bore problem, and demands acute sharpness to maintain the integrity of your designed bore profile. But, don't let me discourage you :)

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi