McGovern’s extended regs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

McGovern’s extended regs

Post by tommykleen »

The always-inspiring Padraig McGovern has a special set of regs. It sounds like he has a tenor D as well as a tenor -or baritone- E on this set (listen to the melodic reg break):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64wMUVoKMjc

Anyone know anything about this set?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
patrick Jacob

Re: McGovern’s extended regs

Post by patrick Jacob »

Hi,

The only thing what I hear whats is not standard is the 4th drone. All the rest is in his very long special tumb.

Patrick
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...but I hear an E note in there.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

Anyone know the name of the second tune?
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

tommykleen wrote:...but I hear an E note in there.
Indeed yes... :-?
robf
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper and flute player from the South West of Ireland. Currently playing a keyless Grinter flute and a full concert pitch set of Victor Mullally pipes.

Post by robf »

The set has an extra note on each of the regs - a D' on the tenor, an E on the baritone and a C# on the bass. It also has 5 drones, an A drone and another that can be tuned to either A or G.
The set was made by the late Victor Mullally. Having seen it in person, it's a beautiful set and it has been referred to as Victor's 'Master Set'.
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

That's very interesting. Do you know where the extra keys are placed on the keyboard? I can think of few ways that they could be laid out effectively, but a lot depends on where that E on the Bari reg goes...
robf
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper and flute player from the South West of Ireland. Currently playing a keyless Grinter flute and a full concert pitch set of Victor Mullally pipes.

Post by robf »

The E is between the D and the F# on the baritone with the D key shortened a bit. It is still possible to play a D&F# chord as well as a D&G chord but the option is now there for E&G to be played as well as E&A.

The D' is positioned above the C on the baritone and the C# is above the C on the bass.
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I thought perhaps the E was added to the baritone above the D and everything shifted up one position so the A would line up with the extra keys at the top of the tenor and bass regs. Would yield some interesting chords that way as well, but you would lose some important ones too. Slippery slope trying to ‘improve’ the regs...
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

I vaguely recall someone once suggested a kind-of free reed assemblage to replace the regs. I guess something like that might really open-up the chordal possibilities. On the downside I think free reeds tend to get louder when the air pressure goes up so maybe the idea would be more suited to something like the Northumbrian pipes. As it happens, I notice that inventor and Northumbrian pipemaker Mike Nelson is currently working on improving the design of the piano accordian and has been busy disassembling one of those plastic mouth-blown Melodicas. So who knows what might result? Now where's my hard-hat?
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Free reeds play at a tiny fraction of the pressure that uilleann pipes (or northumbrian pipes) play at.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com