After Playing Two Weeks !

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
yankees1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just bought a Milligan D whistle. I am new to tin whistles and will need help ! I don't understand why each whistle is in a different key and how a D whistle can play a song in G major ! Which whistle will play a song in A major ? Most songs i will play will be in D, G or A

After Playing Two Weeks !

Post by yankees1 »

Just beginning the tin whistle and making progress ! What I have found out so far is "less is best" with regards to amount of air I blow into the whistle . What I am surprised about is the amount of times I have to run a cleaning cloth into the whistle brass tube to absorb the saliva /moisture out so a note can be heard correctly especially on the D note ! I assume this is different for all players but I can only play a song several times in a row before I have to clean ! Any suggestions on reducing amount of moisture entering tube ?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: After Playing Two Weeks !

Post by fatmac »

Hold the whistle & your head up, that should help. :thumbsup:

Also, you may need to warm it up before playing it, at this time of year, (condensation).

Oh, & if you don't already, cover the aperture with a finger & blow through the fipple to remove moisture.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You don't really need to clean the tube. If the thing clogs, put your finger tip over the window so you close it completely, blow hard to clear the moisture from the windway. Repeat as necessary.
My brain hurts

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

yankees1 wrote:Just beginning the tin whistle and making progress !

What I am surprised about is the amount of times I have to run a cleaning cloth into the whistle brass tube to absorb the saliva /moisture out

I assume this is different for all players

Mr Gumby is correct just cover the window and blow out the windway.
Excess moisture is very common with new players. Just keep playing and think about it less. A little at a time your mouth will learn the whistle is not your favorite chip & dip, and not make extra moisture to aid eating.
Last edited by Tommy on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Yes, when first starting to play whistle you may drool more. Keep playing and the moisture will reduce in most players. New whistlers have a tendency to overblow whistle and may cause more saliva. Some players are just wet blowers. Keep at it and enjoy your whistling.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Better than blowing to clear moisture in the windway, try sucking in quickly.Don't be squeamish- it's only condensed moisture from your breath! With practice you can do this right in the middle of a tune,barely missing a beat.
You can help prevent clogging with a mild soap solution in the windway. A drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid in an ounce of water is all you need. Run this through the windway,shake out the excess.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I've only been playing a year and a half, but i notice I don't produce as much saliva as I did at first. My whistles are not clogging so muc, and that's a big relief! I do cover the window and blow out moisture between tunes, and that seems enough now -unless it's a really long tune. If it clogs in the middle of a tune and I can't stop then I do the quick sucking in thing which is a good quick fix.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers