Why is the Bb called the Goldilocks?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Why is the Bb called the Goldilocks?

Post by MichaelRS »

I can't find it right now, but I read from another poster that the Bb is called the Goldilocks whistle because it's not too high or not too low supposedly just right in the middlr. But to me it still sounds kind of high. And then, when I see two offerings of Bb in the Susato Dublins, I kind of get confused with that. Is one a lower sound because of a larger bore?

Also, as an afterthought, what do you think would be the most useful key of low whistle, with the smallest physical size, and yet still have that low whistle sound? An F?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Why is the Bb called the Goldilocks?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think 'Goldilocks' is common usage. I have never heard anyone, here or elsewhere, use it. Nice pun on Colin's name, but not settled into everyday parlance.

There was a time, before low whistles started to appear (by the late seventies), Bflat was the lowest key available (although Generation for a while went down to G but these were rare, Camac did an A briefly around 1980).
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I read that somewhere too - my interpretation was that it is about half way between low D & high G, the commonly available keys.

Personally, (& I have all keys from high G down to low G), I seem to be settling on the key of 'A' (a Dixon Trad brass & an aluminium), as my mainstay, with key of 'C' (a Clarkes or Generation), when I want a smaller whistle.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Low whistles first appeared in the early-mid 70s. I still have a couple of Overtons I bought in 1973-4.

I've never heard the term Goldilocks before. Nor did I know Generations went down to G: I have no recollection of ever seeing them.

Happy Sun Return!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Generation whistles go up to high G not down to alto G. Their lowest is the Bb.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

@Michael
A larger bore doesn't change the key of the whistle only the length of the tube changes the key (well mostly). However if the bore gets too large the playability will suffer. In part because the whistle comes close to the characteristics of a vessel flute with a unstable pitch that varies more with air pressure and velocity. Narrow bore is more stable.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Narrow bore is more stable.
That's interesting, I thought a wider bore would give a rounder/mellower tone, but you could be right, I just bought an aluminium 'A' & it does take more air than my brass 'A' to get the second octave sounding.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Generation whistles go up to high G not down to alto G
Yes. But, as I said, at one time, and I don't think it lasted long, Generation did make a range going down to low G. They are rare but they do come up for sale occasionally (do a search) and Mary Bergin played the last set of reels on her first recording on one.

Low whistles first appeared in the early-mid 70s.
That sounds about right, Second half of the seventies, they were becoming more common by the end of the decade, I have hazy recollections of seeing a fair amount of them in shops, Walton's and McCullough-Piggot, in Dublin by 1979, Hohners and Overtons mainly.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

fatmac wrote:That's interesting, I thought a wider bore would give a rounder/mellower tone, but you could be right, I just bought an aluminium 'A' & it does take more air than my brass 'A' to get the second octave sounding.
It depends -- and I'm certainly no expert, just made a few whistles myself and experimented with different sizes of tubes. There's so many factors that influence the sound. I also have one low D with a huge bore that is rather quiet because the windway and fipple are very narrow. But as a rule of thumb, I'd say -- narrow bore is more stable (in the sense that you cannot blow it out of pitch as much) and easier to overblow and most of the time a little quieter.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

About lower Generations, this tale about Joe McKenna has long fascinated me (as told by Antoinette)

"While shopping in London in the 1970s Joe spotted around 20 large red whistle tops in the window of a junk shop. Upon request and with some amazment the owner climbed into and retrieved the lot, which Joe bought. On returning to Ireland, he went to his pipe workshop and made a prototype... We toured for many years with this prototype low whistles..." (sic)

If there were injection-moulded tops these things were made in quantity. It's not inexpensive! So who made them? When?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So who made them? When?
Generation made them. A member of this forum posted about one he got of ebay in the last year and a half or so, with pics. I have seen one, once, but never saw them for sale in shops so they are likely pre-1970, or were a limited release. I do remember the low Camac ones for sale but never bothered, not liking their Bflat, that I did get, much.

Joe McKenna likely the source of Mary Bergin's (his sister in law) low G as well then, going by the story.
My brain hurts

jiminos

Post by jiminos »

Who is Joe McKenna?
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Who is Joe McKenna?
Piper, (low) whistleplayer from Dublin. More busy touring and recording during the 1980s (with his now late wife Antoinette) but still at it.

Image Image

Image Image
My brain hurts

jiminos

Post by jiminos »

Thank you, Mr. G. :thumbsup:
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fatmac wrote:
Narrow bore is more stable.
That's interesting, I thought a wider bore would give a rounder/mellower tone...
But one doesn't equal the other.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician