Repairing cork joints

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matt74
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I studied saxophone, clarinet, and flute, and have some formal training in instrument repair. I taught myself recorder, but haven’t played for some time. I used to post often at the Clarinet bboard. I am returning to recorder and need some advice. I think my plastic Yamaha alto is a bad one and would like to ask about their usual characteristics, as well as alternatives. (I learned on a Suzuki student model soprano.)

Re: Repairing cork joints

Post by Matt74 »

This should help, it’s an excellent video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXEG56QUgY
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks for all the replies - I have now repaired the cork joint. I thought it an easy job - especially with all the hints and tips I got here. Whether or not I did a good job, well only time will tell. I have plenty of cork left from the piece that the maker generously supplied.

One hint I can add: when you are sanding the cork to fit, place the two pieces of whistle gently together in the correct orientation. As soon a they start to get tight, stop and carefully wiggle the pieces. You will find that they 'pivot' on two opposite spots on the cork. One of these 'high spots' is the bit that needs little sanding. Unsurprisingly one of these turned out to be where the ends of the cork joined. This is probably 'old-news' to the professionals, but might help a newbie like me.

Edited: atrocious spelling !
Last edited by DrPhill on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by whistlecollector »

DrPhill wrote:I have now repaired the cork joint. I thought it an eay job - epecilly with all the hints and tips I got here. Whether or not I did a good job, well nly time will tell.
Glad it worked out well!
:thumbsup:
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373