PM Opinion: J. Kennedy bellows vs A. Rogge and L. Thompson

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tanash369
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

PM Opinion: J. Kennedy bellows vs A. Rogge and L. Thompson

Post by tanash369 »

Hello,

I am on the market for bellows. I have a chance to own classic looking Joe Kennedy metal hinge bellows. But also I have 2 other options in my mind (ordering new style Rogge bellows - very tempting or praised bellows by L. Thompson). My goal is one: to have very responsive and efficient bellows. Years ago I owned Dow bellows - great but too big for my needs.

So I wanted to hear PM opinion from someone out there who owns Kennedy bellows and possibly also played many other makers bellows in past to explain a bit the difference (responsiveness, efficiency and overall feel or delivery). BTW the stiffnes of metal hinge is no problem to me as I don't play regulators.

Same shape as these, but not new (photo owned by NPU) http://pipers.ie/source/media/?searchTe ... 12&sPage=5

THANK YOU.
Last edited by tanash369 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
uilleannpiperireland
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: An uilleann piper of 14 years from ireland.
I like a drop of fine Irish whiskey with a few tunes.
Sometimes I also think life would have been so much easier if I had taken up the concertina.

Re: PM Opinion: J. Kennedy bellows vs A. Rogge and L. Thomps

Post by uilleannpiperireland »

Kennedy a fantastic maker all round but the bellows might be union style, which sometimes has no cushion and a leather lace type collar.
Not the most comfortable, but no doubt very well made.
Rogge bellows are plain and work Im sure, he has a good reputation.
Not sure about Thomson.
tanash369

Post by tanash369 »

Thanks for reply!
uilleannpiperireland wrote:Kennedy a fantastic maker all round but the bellows might be union style
This is actualy something I prefer aesthetically, the shape, proportions and naked look of Joe's bellows.

Comfort is actualy not something I am concerned (even if I mistakenly wrote this word in my post - what I meant was comfort of opening and closing the bellows). As for wearing comfort, I am sure I can add the cushions if needed.

I am only after efficient responsive bellows, which I hope Kennedy are. Anyone else out there who owns them?
uilleannpiperireland wrote:Rogge bellows are plain and work Im sure, he has a good reputation.
I am talking about new Rogge design. Anyone tried it?

https://www.facebook.com/Pipemakingrogg ... =3&theater

Thank you.
Podge

Post by Podge »

My vote is for the Lawrence Thompson bellows. They are very comfortable and efficient.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

I know both Rogge variants. The old-style Rogge bellows are great, but the new design is a step back and a step forward at the same time. Very straightforward, light as a feather and efficient. The outlet hose is angled differently, so the bellows attach firmer to the body and thus do never get in the way of the drones or regs. I currently own an old style Rogge bellows and am very satisfied, but were I in the market for a new one, I'd opt for the new design.

EDIT: Board member Kuddel recently had one for sale. Se Sold & Old or here (more pics): http://sackpfeifenclub.org/index.php/cl ... eann-pipes
Christian
tanash369

Post by tanash369 »

Podge wrote:My vote is for the Lawrence Thompson bellows. They are very comfortable and efficient.I'll post some pictures when I get home.
Thanks for that. It'll be nice to see it finaly. But I heard he makes few shapes/designs: O'Briain style, Williams style ect. Which one you recommend?
ChristianRo wrote:but the new design is a step back and a step forward at the same time
Thanks Christian for your answer and link!

Can you elaborate a bit why it is also step back? PM if you prefer. Kuddel is selling so soon.

Thank you.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

tanash369 wrote: Can you elaborate a bit why it is also step back? PM if you prefer. Kuddel is selling so soon.
Don't read too much into this. I was referring to the "retro" approach with less parts and no metal hinge.
Christian
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Something you may wish to consider, is the position of the "nose" (or whatever it's called) of the bellows when you play. For me, the nose often contacts the mainstock while I'm regulating around. Were I to play a metal-hinged (or even wooden-edged) bellows, there would be some gouging of the mainstock when I play. Fortunately, my bellows has a leather snood-hinge (totally made that name up, too!) that softens the impact in this regard.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

tommykleen wrote:(totally made that name up, too!)
:lol:

I agree with this, leather nose snood-hinges are much better.