M. Thibouville 12 key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Andro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

M. Thibouville 12 key flute

Post by Andro »

An Irish music store on the web has a 12 key Thibouville flute on offer. The comment mentions this:

"Flute is pitched sharp (about 40 cents with headjoint pushed in all the way.)"

Can this type of flute play satisfactorily at A440? Would pulling the headjoint out badly affect the intonation? Are Thibouville flutes good for Irish music?

I am currently learning on a beautiful Sam Murray keyless, but for my musical needs I feel I now also want an 8 key (or more!) instrument as well.
jim stone

Re: M. Thibouville 12 key flute

Post by jim stone »

Personally I would wait for something else. The seller will let you try it and
return it if it doesn't work for you, but given your location that doesn't sound
practical. In buying flutes I always consider the possibility that I may one day
need to/want to sell it. Heaven knows how I would sell this flute.
If one has the money and buys something good, one keeps one's money
(practically speaking) since you can get it back. For example you could,
if you wished, get a good price for your Murray. I wait for something good
that's made to do what I want. I'm leery of instruments made to do something
else. Sooner or later the right flute comes along. Hope this helps.
paddler

Post by paddler »

In my experience French flutes are generally not very good for playing Irish traditional music.
They are often beautifully made, and can be nice to play, but they tend to have their own peculiar
tuning anomalies that don't sound quite right for ITM. Often, they have an extremely flat F#, which
apparently is a hold over from the days of cross fingering F natural. Surprisingly, they often have this
tuning characteristic even when they have an F natural key.

They also have relatively sweet, delicate voice, rather than the louder, reedier voice of the flutes that
are favored by ITM players, and quite often don't have a very strong D. Finally, many old French flutes
are tuned to the A=435 standard (which originated in France), which is not usable in modern sessions.

So, even if this one is at A=440 tuning, I would still hold out for something a bit more suitable
for ITM, if that is your goal. A 6 key or 8 key English or American flute, or a modern flute that is
derived from one of those originals, would be ideal. If you are patient one will come up.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Thanks so much all. I'll wait. Advice most appreciated.