Experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle ??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nightmagic
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: German speaking
playing not a long time the whistle but want to learn more
happy with every help and looking for more information about Uileann Pipes
*********************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************

Experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle ??

Post by nightmagic »

Hiya,

I wanted to know if someone has experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle?

Would love to hear your recommendation or even if someone has one for sale.

cheers
Lou
ggunner

Re: Experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle ??

Post by ggunner »

At one time I had a very extensive whistle collection. Most of those have been sold, but I retained about five or six that I considered my favorites. Only two of the those are wooden whistles. One was a Blackwood D whistle made by David Boisvert. The other was a European boxwood D whistle made by Jonathan Swayne. Both are works of art with easy second octaves. The Swayne is a particularly sweet sounding whistle.

Of course, many whistles have players who swear by that particular whistle. Everything is subjective. I prefer whistles with an easy second octave that is not shrill. Both the Boisvert and the Swayne fit that bill.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

What does that have to do with Jonathan Swayne whistles?
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

I have to agree

( "What does that have to do with Jonathan Swayne whistles?"

The innitial post enquiry is about Swayne whistles and experiences with.....
if another member mentions another maker to tell a story about his wooden whistle collection, what does that have to do with roy mcmanus......or Jon Swayne
Maybe read the post title ( Experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle ?? )

SPONGE :poke:
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

ggunner wrote:Both are works of art with easy second octaves. The Swayne is a particularly sweet sounding whistle.
That is experience.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

CRIKEY :-? , I have to say you certainly like to get in and have a go.... not jut this post/thread either

Yes perhaps become a lurker once more, nightmagic is interested in SWAYNE WHISTLES, which is one maker, of course you've not broken any rules, and no I'm not a moderator, but posting a link to Roy's site it completely useless to someone after info on a Swaynes whistles, i'm interested in Tully whistles, you wouldn't happen to have the link for Chris Abell :boggle: :poke:

Why you need to be so up yourself with all your post's is beyond me, write less, play more whistle, enjoy life..........

and live long and prosper

sponge
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

Here's a link to Jonathan Swayne's website.

https://www.jonswayne.com/whistles

They are very fine whistles with an easy blowing, and sweet, not shrill, second octave. They compare very favorably with other wooden whistles.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've only tried one high D Swayne whistle, and it was the only whistle that I've played that I would describe as "reedy." Very unique sound. Plenty of back pressure / resistance to blowing, which I like. Very attractive whistle (boxwood) with nice curves. :)

-Brett
nightmagic
Tell us something.: German speaking
playing not a long time the whistle but want to learn more
happy with every help and looking for more information about Uileann Pipes
*********************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************

Post by nightmagic »

Many thanks for all answers.

I consider to buy a Jon Swayne so I wanted to know the experience people have with this whistles.

And for the guy with the Roy McManus, thanks I have a D,C, Bb from Roy and all are amazing good :-)
chas

Post by chas »

I owned two Swayne whistles, one each in d and c. Like some wooden whistle makers, Jon makes each key with a different bore. These are very gently tapered conical-bore whistles, with the only metal being the slides and rings.

The c was as bretton has described. It was kind of like an Overton, with a very reedy sound and very high backpressure.

The d I would describe as perfect. Not perfect as in perfectly pure like a Rose, but perfectly like a whistle. Not too pure, not too sweet, not too dirty, not too loud but not easily lost in the noise. It also had incredible response -- quick, really easy octave changes, and almost perfectly balanced from low-d to d''. That was something I just couldn't get used to. I also couldn't get used to the d and c being SO different. So I sold them as a set.

The Swayne also has the distinction of being the only wooden whistle I've seen in a heavy metal video (actually on another watch, he plays both a low-G and a d). Have a watch. Yes, I posted it not that long ago, but I just LOVE this band, and the album is my favorite of this century. I swear I have 5% of the 4k views, plus I own two copies, one for the shop and one for the living room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2sQdPQU-E
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Backhold wrote:@nightmagic

Roy makes a really nice whistle, I thought you may appreciate a look, apologies for the brouhaha that followed.

I meant well.

All good man, I took your post as another option since we're talking woodies. I actually owned a Sweetheart high D a couple of years ago that I bought on a whim, but it was the fully chromatic variety that was too complicated for my highly limited playing skills, which no amount of enthusiasm would overcome. It had a beautiful voice.
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I have a recent John Swayne low D made from gidgee wood. I believe its optimised for the first octave. I would agree with a previous post that described a reedy tone (hardly surprising as John is an acknowledged pipe-maker). I find it a bit gritty as well and you can really lean into the second octave. The qualities I have described make it my favourite low D. Its a gutsy whistle with good tuning and a lot of fun to play.