CP: New from O’Brien, the Chromalow Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: CP: New from O’Brien, the Chromalow Whistle

Post by OBrien »

Sedi, I really appreciate your pinky tip about where to keep my pinky tip. I’m a self-taught flautist and it shows. Your advice, along with a clip on thumb rest I made helps a lot supporting the instrument in the vertical position.
Last edited by OBrien on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

On my Reyburn low whistles I use clarinet thumb rests and a bit of heavy duty double stick tape. The double stick tape I use only has to be replaced every six months or so.

A package of six or so of the thumb rests is cheap on eBay. You can get rubber pads for them as well.

Piper Joe
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That's really cool. it's not a quite flute, and not quite a whistle, but you could make great music with it.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

O'Brien wrote:Richard- I’m working on a clip on Delrin support for the right thumb.
Or you could use the ones already in production and used in the Boehm flute world for vertical flute playing.

They're well thought-out and comfortable to play.

It would save you the trouble of re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sedi wrote: If your Boehm flute works anything like mine the right pinky should stay on the flute and work the corresponding key... The right pinky only is removed for a couple of notes and is used to balance the flute while at the same time keeping the key open which works just the other way round as the rest of the keys.
Yes of course that's the standard and correct Boehm fingering, the lower-hand little finger usually pressing the Eb key (in ITM terminology) which in the normal transverse playing position helps hold the flute. If you don't press open the Eb key the note E natural is a bit flat.

Thing is, on Boehm flutes with perforated keys (the so-called French model) the pitch of E natural doesn't change appreciably whether the Eb key is open or shut. In fact I know a woman who has played Boehm flute her whole life (since a child) and has never played any other instrument who doesn't open the Eb key except when playing that note. She has always played a French model flute.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Richard- I’ve seen the ones on the flutelab site. They seem to come as part of the headjoint package. Do you know where they can be bought on their own?